Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Point when Changing 180 to 200

IVC

My current load is 4.8gn N310 under 180 MG FMJ loaded to 1.200 in 5.4 SVI Limited. 

I have a smaller batch of 200 MG FMJ that I bought a while ago to tinker with. From everything I've read, I should likely stick to 180, but I'd like to use up the bullets I already have. Partly to see if I can tell the difference, partly to learn more about reloading, partly to use up the stock. 

So, when making a transition of this kind, what's a good starting point for the powder charge? Is there any rule of thumb about starting points when going to slightly lighter/heavier bullets? The new bullets are longer, so loading to same OAL will reduce the empty space in the case and change pressure characteristics so I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid. 

My current load is 4.8gn N310 under 180 MG FMJ loaded to 1.200 in 5.4 SVI Limited. 

I have a smaller batch of 200 MG FMJ that I bought a while ago to tinker with. From everything I've read, I should likely stick to 180, but I'd like to use up the bullets I already have. Partly to see if I can tell the difference, partly to learn more about reloading, partly to use up the stock. 

So, when making a transition of this kind, what's a good starting point for the powder charge? Is there any rule of thumb about starting points when going to slightly lighter/heavier bullets? The new bullets are longer, so loading to same OAL will reduce the empty space in the case and change pressure characteristics so I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid. 
Same charge should be fine out of 200gr bullet. Will run a little higher velocity but if your current charge is within safe limits then it should be slightly on higher end of velocity in 200s

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info - I'm concerned because I use a very fast powder so the velocity by itself doesn't tell the whole story. The pressure is spiking internally before the bullet is propelled and I don't know how much room for maneuvering I have with both heavier projectile and the smaller case space. 

i'd suggest a slower powder. 310 is pretty dang fast and you will be real close to max pressure trying to get close to major. I am running 200 gr coated bullets under 5.4 grs of BE86 at 1.180 for pins.  
What you are trying leaves very little margin for error between not making power factor and KABOOM.
Nothing wrong with 200 gr 40's long loaded. Just not with powders that fast.

18 hours ago, Joe4d said:

i'd suggest a slower powder. 310 is pretty dang fast and you will be real close to max pressure trying to get close to major. I am running 200 gr coated bullets under 5.4 grs of BE86 at 1.180 for pins.  
What you are trying leaves very little margin for error between not making power factor and KABOOM.
Nothing wrong with 200 gr 40's long loaded. Just not with powders that fast.

That was my thought too - very fast, little room for error and decreased case volume. 

I am actually not even that concerned with making the PF as I would be just loading to use up the bullets I have at hand, possibly see if I can tell/feel the difference. I guess I'll just keep the 200's for now and not push my luck, especially since I don't want to tinker with the toolhead setup that I have just dialed in (I'm new to reloading). It will become a project for some later time or some different press. 

Thanks for the input. 

2 hours ago, Furrly said:

drop the charge 10% of your 180 load , you will be good to go !!!

^^^

This

Don't switch powder, especially if you just want to use up the bullets. 

Everyone has an opinion about which powder, burn rate and all that stuff they prefer. It the one you're using worked with 180 it will work with 200, just use less.

Remember PF is based on weight and speed. Same PF with a heavier bullet requires less of the same powder. 

BTW, I and many others have used TG, which I believe is faster (more dense) the N310, without a problem in 40 so why would you need to switch if you like 310?

Looked up burn rates, I'm wrong N310 is faster than TG

Link to burn rate chart:

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/burn-rate-color.pdf

I'm surprised you use 4.8 of N310 to make Major. Seems like it would take a bit less with 180 grain bullets. But each gun is different.

While I'm really big on the precision of the loading process to get consistent ammo, I believe once we get a load that works just load it and shoot away.

Edited by HesedTech

I run Bayou 200 with TG at 3.8 gr.  171/172 PF  1.180 OAL.  Recently switched to Sport Pistol for the same Bayou 200's and its perfect at 4.0/4.1 gr.  171 PF  STI DVC Lim 2015 version not the island.

Edited by steveac1