Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shadow 2 recoil spring

chetc

a few weeks ago i installed a white recoil spring from cajun gum works in place of the stock one, i notice it is a little easier to rack the slide, do changing recoil springs effect accuracy

chet

a few weeks ago i installed a white recoil spring from cajun gum works in place of the stock one, i notice it is a little easier to rack the slide, do changing recoil springs effect accuracy

chet
No, but it will affect how your gun goes back into battery which coukd affect every s#!t in the string after the first.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Using too light of a recoil spring can damage your gun over time. The factory recoil spring for a CZ Shadow is 18lbs, however, this is a gun that is not designed for competition but for duty use being able to shoot +P loads. The Shadow 2 was designed to shoot in IPSC competition and it was produced with a 13# recoil spring WITH a shock buff to protect the frame, as most power factors in IPSC/USPSA for minor is around the 128-130 mark. The shock buff comes standard as a measure to protect the frame. CZ has already reduced the power of the recoil spring to suit competition shooting, and nobody will notice any difference from a 10lb spring to a 13lb spring in actual performance. I would leave the stock spring. 

Edited by abb1

26 minutes ago, abb1 said:

nobody will notice any difference from a 10lb spring to a 13lb spring in actual performance.

I disagree......followup shots will be affected by recoil spring weight (as well as felt recoil and cycling speed)....if they are landing high switching to a lower weight recoil spring will bring followups point of impact closer to first shot point of impact......also, considering battering of the frame, these guns were built to be able to withstand +P loads and as long as the recoil spring can return the slide to battery properly even an 8.5 lb recoil spring should not damage the frame (especially if also using a buffer......ask Rob Engh how many hundreds of thousands of rounds he has on his with this exact combination and no damage)

Edited by race1911

31 minutes ago, race1911 said:

I disagree......followup shots will be affected by recoil spring weight (as well as felt recoil and cycling speed)....if they are landing high switching to a lower weight recoil spring will bring followups point of impact closer to first shot point of impact......also, considering battering of the frame, these guns were built to be able to withstand +P loads and as long as the recoil spring can return the slide to battery properly even an 8.5 lb recoil spring should not damage the frame (especially if also using a buffer......ask Rob Engh how many hundreds of thousands of rounds he has on his with this exact combination and no damage)

buffer help to increase slide life and not frame. lower power R.S will decrease   frame ,barrel lower lug and  slide stop life.

about R.E. shot many hundreds of thousands from his sh2 😉 he has 10 of them .and how many he shot from  the same gun  before he broke his frame? 50k ?with lower  pf. 

u can tell this to ours club owner that sh2 can shoot hundreds of thousands rounds🤣 after all  sh2  frames from the club cracked after 3-15k factory ammo.😉

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

Using too light of a recoil spring can damage your gun over time. The factory recoil spring for a CZ Shadow is 18lbs, however, this is a gun that is not designed for competition but for duty use being able to shoot +P loads. The Shadow 2 was designed to shoot in IPSC competition and it was produced with a 13# recoil spring WITH a shock buff to protect the frame, as most power factors in IPSC/USPSA for minor is around the 128-130 mark. The shock buff comes standard as a measure to protect the frame. CZ has already reduced the power of the recoil spring to suit competition shooting, and nobody will notice any difference from a 10lb spring to a 13lb spring in actual performance. I would leave the stock spring. 

18lbs on a Shadow?  I've seen the standard SP-01 spring listed at 14, 16, and 17 depending on who you ask.  Considering the official description of the Shadow contained the following blurb I always took it that it also came with a 13lb spring like its successor:

Lighter recoil and main springs originating from original CZ 75 Specifications help to create a smoother more consistent action.

2 hours ago, race1911 said:

I am not saying that it is overly bad to put a lower RS in, however, it really is pointless and it WILL cause breakage over time. Do a test, take two Shadow 2’s, and have a friend put a 10# RS in one and stock 13# in the other without you knowing which is which. Do a drill, any drill. The only factor in scores and time will be shooter error, and that can go either way, with either gun 😊

Edited by abb1

5 hours ago, yigal said:

after all  sh2  frames from the club cracked after 3-15k factory ammo.😉

...that was the very earliest version of the Shadow 2 which needed correcting from the factory.....I have not heard of a single failure to any manufactured after the factory did the necessary "fix" relief cuts (I believe in November/2017)

Edited by race1911