Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooters with a hearing aid

chetc

If you are waiting to hear hits, you are wrong, your wasting time, same as if you are looking for holes in paper or for the plates to fall.  You should know if you hit or miss when you squeeze the trigger.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

If you are waiting to hear hits, you are wrong, your wasting time, same as if you are looking for holes in paper or for the plates to fall.  You should know if you hit or miss when you squeeze the trigger.

ho joe4d

i agree 100% with you, i am not quite at that level, it must feel good to be at that level, i am practicing about 3 days a week, i am getting confidence. the way Max pounds them is incredible. you do make a good point.

not knocking you in the least,, I havent been at that level in quite some time. But one thing I did learn when I was getting decent training is, it is much easier to learn good technique from the get go, than it is to unlearn bad technique and THEN learn good technique. Ive all ways been a hero or zero match shooter and pretty much just go for it,,, yep sometimes you get burned and get a mike, but whatever score I ended up with I know I gave it my all.
Waiting on that ding will end up an ingrained bad habit you will have to unlearn at some point of your progression.

I wear hearing aids, and I haven't found any hearing protection that will allow me to hear hits on steel plates all the time.  (I do have severe hearing loss...)  

I am currently using Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic muffs when it is cool enough for me to stand them, and they work OK to hear steel plate hits - MOST of the time.  They have a very  good Noise Reduction Rating (NRR), and the sound quality is pretty good.  However, they are MUCH too hot to use during the summer.  

When it is hot, I use Walker Silencers (mine use standard hearing aid batteries).  They are pretty comfortable, but they don't reduce gunfire noise as much as I like, and the sound quality isn't the best.  I can't detect steel hits with them with any regularity.  The tips have to be replaced pretty often...  

An alternative would be these:  https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-percussive-shooting-filters/ But, again, I don't know anyone who has any personal experience with them, plus they don't have any amplification capability.  

I have also been thinking of trying a set of these:  https://www.espamerica.com/  However, I would definitely want to hear from someone with personal experience with them before I drop that much $ for a set...