Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble finding my grip

nso123

I am struggling some with finding my  grip out of the holster for the first shot. I feel like my left hand (right handed shooter) is wandering around the grip at times. Once I find it I am good, but I had an entire stage today where I didn't get a good grip out of the holster and know I dropped some time due to it.  I am fairly new to shooting Steel Challenge, so I am curious if there are any specific drills that might help beyond simply drawing to a target during dry fire, or is this something that will develop to muscle memory with more practice?

Edited by nso123

I have the same problem from time to time. When i´m cold or just stiff because of nervousness, it´s strange how i can mess up a simple movement that i did a thousand times.

It drives me crazy.

I think it´s important to have index points, a point where you rest your shooting hand, a point where you rest your support hand, a point where you move your support hand to, a point where you hit the gun. Holster position is critical, stance too. Even which angle you hold your Hands. That all should be as exactly the same as possible.  

2 hours ago, Hawk21 said:

Watch some mike seeklander videos on the “Judi chop” he breaks down the draw and grip in amazing detail 

I just watched his video and it completely answered my question as to what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the suggestion.

12 hours ago, nso123 said:

I just watched his video and it completely answered my question as to what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now put what you saw in the video together with your comment regarding dry fire, slow at first to begin building muscle memory then add speed...repeat until you aren't thinking about each particular step and you'll be well on your way to your first target after the BEEP!

3 minutes ago, Bench said:

Now put what you saw in the video together with your comment regarding dry fire, slow at first to begin building muscle memory then add speed...repeat until you aren't thinking about each particular step and you'll be well on your way to your first target after the BEEP!

That is exactly what I did last night. I plan to make that a focus for my immediate training future. I have no doubt that I have lost valuable time on stages due to my grip. 

I just watched 5 of the Seeklander vidoes.....very helpful. He mentions the opposing forces grip with each hand. If you are doing the 60/40 or 70/30 method with pressure and also apply the opposing forces (he called it twisting jar lids), it seems as if you are going to get uneven pressure on one side vs the other. Thus causing you to pull shots to one side or the other.

21 hours ago, nso123 said:

No problem glad they helped.  I would recommend trying to get to one of his classes if he makes it near you. My coworker and I went up to OK in May and learned a ton in two days.  The way he presented his material and gave some one on one instruction as the course unfolded was well worth the trip.

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, Hawk21 said:

Watch some mike seeklander videos on the “Judi chop” he breaks down the draw and grip in amazing detail 

The best fundamental video I've ever seen, I mean I've watched almost every relevant youtuber available, suffice to say seeklander's technique works.

Draw is something you can easily train safetly in dry fire. Start slow and build up speed either in front of a mirror or film yourself to ensure you training correctly. It requires between 500 and 1000 repetitions to make it a subconscious process. After you mastered the standing relaxed draw, work on surrender, arms crossed, etc.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:02 PM, B585 said:

I have the same issue.  One thing that has helped me is to bring the gun a little higher out of the holster before I start pushing the gun out.

An interesting point, as I've experienced this too.  Often time most of online video and advice focused on having both hands gripping at an earlier stage after draw, either before fully raised or raised but before stretch out the arms.  However, I found the natural gripping resolved the best when I raised and stretched close to the final stage, which is also often when I experienced the same as OP that support hand wiggled a bit to locate the best gripping, still that seems to be the most closest point to achieve the best gripping comparing to both hands met any time earlier in the process.

In this case, after draw I raise the gun with strong hand only and as it near the final point my support hand will raise and arrive to meet for gripping.  This is the most natural to me but I'm not sure this would be the quickest.