Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3" Lifter In Rem. 1100

gunny

Building an 1100 for my wife. After reading Pat Sweeney's book, he recommends installing a 3" lifter to enhance reliability and prevent lock-back on every shot.

How many of you have changed to a 3" lifter and noticed enchanced reliability?

How many of you are running 2-3/4" lifters with no problems?

Thanks,

Gunny

Unless Briley changed it, it's still the 2-3/4" lifter and no problems.

That being said, it might just work. Remmys are notorious for just doing their own thing. So...give it a shot. The parts are cheap and the switch shouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

I still have the same original (2 3/4) lifter in my 1100 that has been there for 15+ years. This 1100 was an extremely well used skeet gun when I got it and I have been using it for skeet/hunting/3 gun for all these years and I haven't had a problem. Probably just lucky?

Neal in AZ

My M1100 (and lots of others too) worked OK with the standard shell carrier, but when I put a DMW EZ Loader in the gun, I decided to put in the 3" Carrier anyway.

Understand something (and Sweeny did describe it correctly too), the M1100/1187 does lock back on every shot. As the action bars side aft, the shell latch is opened releasing a shell from the magazine, and the shell hits the carrier latch, freeing the action bars to close. When you are shooting it, this all happens fast and most shooters will never detect the lock open/release stutter.

But when you cycle the piece by hand (misfire, loaded magazine but empty chamber, etc) you can not let go of the bolt handle quickly enough. The carrier latch catches things back, and the magazine pumps a shell at the latch, and the latch goes open and then closed before you can let go of the handle. So you have to hit the feed button or EZ Loader to close the action.

Remington developed the 3" carrier, which has a latch that holds the carrier latch open once it has been hit by the shell and resets when the action finishes cycling. It will save us time if we ever have to cycle the action manually, because we do not need to hit the button or EZ Loader to get it to close. That is why I put it in.

Remington originally developed it to prevent an occaisional malfunction in combat shotguns where the gun would stop open with a shell on the shell carrier. What was happening is that there are a lot of dynamic movements going on when a shotgun is cycling. The action bars, the bolt and locking block, all do some bouncing during the cycle, and if the next round opens the carrier latch a little too early, or while the bouncing is occuring, the carrier latch can close again before the shell carrier is released. But if we latch the carrier latch back when it is hit, this malfunction quits happening.

We have another thread going about using the M870 Shell Carrier in a M1100, which keeps it from locking open at all (no carrier latch). In that case, the magazine has to get the next round back soon enough to be loaded... The high speed film I have watched of the process makes me believe that the carrier latch is necessary - the shell gets into position way too late to allow the action bars to just cycle freely. I am still trying to understand how Vang Comp makes the M870 carrier work.

Billski

Billski,

Just to be clear about my 11-87P with the 870 carrier. Vang Comp didn't do this conversion or anything to the operating system of my 11-87P(would have been hard since I just sent them the barrel). I just installed the 870 carrier and went out and shot the SG like normal. It was just a parts switch so I am not sure if I got lucky by not having problems?

Neal in AZ

We have another thread going about using the M870 Shell Carrier in a M1100, which keeps it from locking open at all (no carrier latch). In that case, the magazine has to get the next round back soon enough to be loaded...  The high speed film I have watched of the process makes me believe that the carrier latch is necessary - the shell gets into position way too late to allow the action bars to just cycle freely. I am still trying to understand how Vang Comp makes the M870 carrier work.

Billski

• 4 months later...
this 3" carrier latch, is it a factory part for the 1187? trying to find it in brownell's catalog. also, any trick to putting one on an 1100??

I don't know the 3" lifter p/n, but if you want to upgrade to the CM lifter the P/N is: F300902.

The CM lifter has the same lock feature as the 3" lifter. If you will be going with a DMW EZ Loader, then getting the CM lifter is a mute point and I would go with the 3" version.

• 3 months later...
I'm having problems with my 1100 Tactical in that it isn't locking back on the last shot. I installed a 3" lifter and an EZ loader.

With the additon of the 3" lifter, is it supposed to not lock back on the last shot? Or did I install or tune it wrong?

I'm no expert here, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but here's what I think is the problem. I have an 1100 Competition Master with the EZ loader and mine doesn't lock back on last shot either. I think the EZ loader is set to release the action too early (with the action locked open, the gate will release the action after 1/4" of movement). When the gun is firing the last shot I think the EZ loader is tripping the action and letting it close. There should be a good amount of play in the EZ loader before it releases the action. Now I just have to figure out how to tune it...

I took out the 1100 Tactical today and shot it. It doesn't lock back with 3 dram 1 1/8 shot loads. The gun is barely kicking out the hulls (maybe 6").

It did lock open with the Remington low recoil slugs. So it just isn't getting enough gas with the 3 dram shot loads. Opened up the ports today and will see if it is enough.

Does anybody have the 3" lifter part number handy? From Brownells, it looks like your choices are:

767-000-759 Carrier Assembly FITS: 11-87 Super Mag, 12

767-268-750 Carrier Assembly FITS: 11-87, 12; 1100 12, 12 Mag., 12, 12 Mag

Or is it something else??

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Does anybody have the 3" lifter part number handy? From Brownells, it looks like your choices are:

767-000-759 Carrier Assembly FITS: 11-87 Super Mag, 12

767-268-750 Carrier Assembly FITS: 11-87, 12; 1100 12, 12 Mag., 12, 12 Mag

Or is it something else??

Thanks!

i've been trying to find out myself. i pm'd pat sweeney and he confirmed the 1100 & 11-87 carrier assemblies are the same part, as brownells shows. i must assume remington no longer makes the old style carrier we are trying to replace. i'm gonna order one and find out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...