Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson base pads for XDm 5.25

Jeff O

• 1 month later...

anyone know if the Dawson .200 works with a Springer mag funnel ? setting up a idpa CO legal gun, got springer .25's now and all is good,,, maybe should just buy more,,, but I like Dawson

I have a XDM 4.5" 9mm with a pistol gear operator magwell. You need dawson .300 base pads on your mags to seat them quickly during a match vs standard mags with factory base pads. Without the dawson .300 base pads the mags may not seat so you can chamber a round- have to push the standard factory mags with your thumb up into the mag well- takes too much time and you are not always sure the mag is seated properly to feed ammo.

1 hour ago, verla said:

I have a XDM 4.5" 9mm with a pistol gear operator magwell. You need dawson .300 base pads on your mags to seat them quickly during a match vs standard mags with factory base pads. Without the dawson .300 base pads the mags may not seat so you can chamber a round- have to push the standard factory mags with your thumb up into the mag well- takes too much time and you are not always sure the mag is seated properly to feed ammo.

Even with the .300s you have to be careful. I run a Dawson ICE magwell with both the +2 extensions and the .300s. When I use the latter I really have to push them in with the meat of my palm. On multiple occasions I’ve had the “bang and the mag falls out” experience. 

Springer funnel must be a better mouse trap , no problem seating with their .25's
So what exactly good are the .3' Dawsons ? Sounds like that Funnel would make it not legal for USPSA CO, .3 pads that dont offer extra capacity offer no advantage.
ANd both funnel and pad make them not legal for IDPA.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Springer funnel must be a better mouse trap , no problem seating with their .25's
So what exactly good are the .3' Dawsons ? Sounds like that Funnel would make it not legal for USPSA CO, .3 pads that dont offer extra capacity offer no advantage.
ANd both funnel and pad make them not legal for IDPA.

A. B.
Handguns permitted:
Handguns, associated modifications, restrictions, holsters, magazine carriers, calibers, start condition, and division capacity shall be compliant with ESP Division requirements, except as it relates to sights, lasers and overall weight.

magwells and  base pads are ok for IDPA. I have some of the Dawson .200 base pads with an ICE magwell on an XDM 5.25.  I had to file the insert to get the mags to seat. 

I'm familiar with the rules. As I said funnel AND pad, make it not legal, no idea if the funnel itself is oversized, but doesnt really matter if the required pads are too big. Although, with the top cut out of the CO IDPA box, I can see it possibly working with the .300 pads.

the operator mag well from pistol gear is IDPA ESP legal- with the addition of the dawson .300 basepads that do not extend beyond the magwell - they are also legal and help seating the mag when reloading quickly