Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was just wondering if anyone out there has a really good grip/forearm strengthening exercise. I have one of the cheapie spring grip exercisers, but I question its $4 worth. Thanks...

I was just shown this exercise a week ago so I don’t know how well it works but it is worth a try.  Take a can of soup in one hand, hold it in front of you and roll your wrist slowly up then completely down. It should be about 180-degree movement.  This works both the muscles in the top of you forearm as well as the bottom.  Hey it does not cost anything but a can of soup to try it.  HTH

1. when your done with  the newspaper, take each page and crumple it into a ball using one hand.

2. cut about 9" off the end of a broom( or use a wood dowel), drill a hole in the middle, Tie one end of a 4 foot rope to the stick and tie the other end to a weight. Put your arms in front of you at shoulder height and roll up the rope on to the stick and then roll it out. Do this with your palms facing up and facing down.

They make a grip gadget that has a spring and pad for each finger. I picked one up a GNC. It is great for the drive to and from work. Your grip gets stronger and you can get tension out using it instead of killing the jerk that just pulled out in front of you or is doing 15 in a 55.

A Milk Jug full of water is about 8 lbs.  Holding the jug by the handle extend it out to arms length and roll your wrists.  You will be surprised how short of a period you can keep your arm exetended with 8 lbs on the end of them.  It works just like the can o soup exersize only 10 times harder.

Standing up straight, arm hanging parallel with your body (perpendicular to the floor), griping a sledge hammer (at some specific place on the handle so you can do 15 - 20 reps), (or better yet, a dumbbell bar with weights only on one end), weight forward. Start with weight/wrist pivoted down toward the ground - without moving your arm, pivot your wrist, raising the weight as high as you can, then lower it to the starting position. Repeat 15 - 20 times; then repeat with opposite arm. Do 3 or 4 sets. Then repeat the whole process, this time starting with the weight facing the rear. The last version seems to really work the muscles we use to recover the gun.

But my favorite is simply a "blue donut shaped thing" I got at an REI store. It's made by a major climbing gear manufacturer (sorry, can't remember who) to keep your forearms in shape when you're "out of season." I like to "pump up" with it if I'm totally cold.

be

Right on Brian,

the stronger your hands, wrists & forearms are,

the better you can really grip the pistol hard with no  muscle tension...(that is what I BElieve anyway, the whole 360 degree "bird" grip).

Another great site:

http://www.healthforlife.com/

The power forearms and the rotator cuff books could really help in the sport of IPSC.

PS.

(sorry to digress)

My Grandfather could bend nails and crush walnuts with his bare hands, (he also had the touch and feel to shoot any firearm at any time because he had to feed his family of 12 and keep everyones' belly full)...lol..

My Grandfather also had Polio and was in a wheelchair in his twilight years..

He lived in the moment and didn't complicate his life with over-analyzing everything...

(he died at 90 years old).

I guess he taught me what "zen" was really about...

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...

Thanks Brian.

Dako

Ever try to "pinch grip" a rafter in your garage???

I have one of those donuts someplace. Got it to work on my grip strength for rock climbing. It doesn't work well for that, but keeps you entertained in traffic.

If you can find one, go by an indoor climbing gym (or REI) and spend a few hours climbing the walls. You'll be amazed not only at how quickly you'll pump out your forearms, but also how difficult it is to use doorknobs the rest of the day. Keep at it and the results are awesome (and fun to boot-- bring the kids, they'll love it)

On a related note, I recently acquired a big (read: 5 lb) Desert Eagle-- shot it for a while and then picked up my Open blaster and it felt like I'd grabbed an empty squirt-gun. It seemed to zip and zap around so much faster than before. I remember years ago Matt McLearn was selling a solid bronze copy of his racegun for this sort of training.. did anybody try that?