Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding maybe to make the jump into reloading

Chewy

I made a spread sheet when I started reloading to see how many rounds it would take me to break even.

It needs to be updated. The prices I used to calculate the savings are old and don’t reflect current pricing.

I started reloading back right before the beginning of the Obama administration so my savings initially were much greater.

If any one is interested let me know. I can share it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 550 is a great press. I occasionally wish I had a 650 with all the case & bullet feeders, but I don't shoot enough to need that

The strong mount, and bin systems are must have items! The 550 is very ergonomic and you can get in a good stride to load 100 rds per 10 minutes. Although you can't keep that up forever.

The other must have is LIGHT! I have a shop light on the bench, a oversized LED light on the ceiling, and the "skylight" accessory on the press

There are a few things you may want over time to organize your space but they are just nice to have

There are a variety of things I read on here to reduce stoppages. I use a little safety pin on the primer chute and graphite as a dry lube where the primer slide assembly moves. I keep a shaving cream brush handy on the bench to brush of debris as needed.

8396cb4121daa4d81cd99c6aff2d034d.jpge3d3c330ffb468f51caf5e7af8b52ca4.jpgf855cb6a270fabcc74a305cb11e6b4d7.jpg25f250560dcf1763792d94d2df74b88f.jpg

Edited by DesertTortoise

15 hours ago, Chewy said:

I would probably reload 300-500 in a sitting.  When I reloaded my shotshells I did 200 at a time, but I can imagine doing 3x that in a sitting comfortably for 9mm.   It was relaxing to me. 

Is buying prepped cases still economical?   I got a brass catcher and I have like 3k factory 115gr ammo that I have yet to shoot (I thought that was a lot for stocking up for ammogeddon, but I guess that's a small amount!)  I know that reloading is not going to save me money (you shoot more) but my price per round going way down sounds good (and not being logged in CA DOJ system for every round I buy after July 1)

Forgive my ignorance.. but why would I need a chrono?  I didn't use one for my shotshells (hmm, maybe I shoud've?)  Also I'm running a sp-01, is there any *known* good recipes or recipes you could point me to that cz's like?  or are they individually different as to what they like?  

I wish I could move out!  but family and my business (health care profession) keep me here.   

3.5 grains on VV N320 with a 147 FMJ Precision Delta bullet at 1.150 is what I shoot.

13 hours ago, Chewy said:

OK, I just want to make sure I'm ordering everything I need.  I've tried to do my own homework but here goes:

RL 550C

Die set (Lee has a 4 set, while Dillon has a 3 set.  is there an additional one I have to get if I get the dillon set?)

Bullet Tray

Case bin and bracket

Strong mount

Aluminum Roller Handle

(Already have a powder scale)

Digital Caliper (any brands recommended?  best functional for price?)

CV-750 + CM-500 Case tumbler/separator

Case lube (One shot?)

----------------

Should I get? list

----------------

1" wrench

Primer Flip Tray 

Extra Primer Pickup Tubes

I'd like to make a one-time order and not start... then realize i need to order something else if you know what I mean. 

Any further advice / recommendations very much appreciated!

Yes, get the wrench, flip tray, and extra tubes and extra tips for the tubes.

I went with the in-line fabrication Ultra mount instead of the Dillon Strong mount.  It puts the press up a little higher.   Other nice features about the Ultra mount are that there is a storage shelf and that the plate you mount the press on is a quick change plate. So if you ever decide to get a second press you can pop the 550 right off and mount a different press right to the same Ultra mount.

I also have their case bin, roller handle, and a light for the center of the tool holder.

The in-line fab roller handle has a nice curve to it. You can see it in the pics I posted. Not sure if the Dillon has that but, it makes working the handle very comfortable compared to the standard handle that comes with a 550.

I think a primer chute is a mandatory part. The spent primer system on the 550 stinks. The chute catches way more primers than the standard cup that comes with a 550. I think it is around $35 or so. I have a big old piece of Tupperware under the press that holds the spent primers. I think I dumped it out finally after about 6 months of use.

I started with a SDB and quickly went to a 550. The SDB is just so small and difficult to work with in my opinion (just not enough room for your hands to work properly) compared to the 550.

3864548e0e33eee55097e0a656b889d5.jpgcb974573534922b3a15eeb5da12c0f2d.jpgdfd624486ff9ae3b32f1cf02ca2ec08f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Unless you are going to pony up for some high end calipers that cost like $150 they are all about the same.

I have one from HF, one from Amazon, and a set of dial calipers made by shop fox. All equally accurate.

If you are concerned with accuracy of your calipers a 1-2 inch micrometer is a great option.

Fowler makes one with an easy to read digit counter.
The nice thing about a micrometer is the anvil has way more surface area than calipers. So it is easy to get a good reading on round nose bullet profiles.b8854af0cc9ca50fd2cf0316a002db71.jpg

The Dillon set has a de-priming/sizing die, seating die, crimp die. The Lee 4 die set has an extra die for expanding/powder. You don't need that die since the 550 comes with the die/powder funnel that expands the cartridge.

I know the dillon set is more expensive but, it is a really nice set of dies. I have a set of those and a Lee set (and a RCBS set) I like the Dillon better than the Lee.

57 minutes ago, billthemarine2862 said:

The Dillon set has a de-priming/sizing die, seating die, crimp die. The Lee 4 die set has an extra die for expanding/powder. You don't need that die since the 550 comes with the die/powder funnel that expands the cartridge.

I know the dillon set is more expensive but, it is a really nice set of dies. I have a set of those and a Lee set (and a RCBS set) I like the Dillon better than the Lee.

Ah ok, that does make sense.    Thank you for the info.   I read a bunch of different opinions on Lee vs Dillion dies.    I guess staying consistent with the brand is ok too.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone you shoot with load? It's always good to see the process. But this forum has a ton of good info. Im not sure if it was answered but the chrony will help you figure your power factor for competition, some have a minimum power.

I wouldn't discount the 650. If your not going to be loading many calibers you don't have to worry about conversion cost theyre 20 dollars more. Also you don't need to add case feeder immediately. You can get it for 100 more than the 550 and use it as is and it would be comparable to the sdb with options to grow. I have 550 and 650 both are great.

The decision should be made on how many rounds per sitting you eventually plan to do. If it's 100- 400 I'd say you'd be fine with 550. If you plan on 500- 1000 idea say go 650.

The other thing to consider is hand movements. With 650(with casefeeder) you have to place bullet with left hand pull down and push up with right. I see that as 3 movements and if you add bulletfeeder that's 2. With the 550 you have to place case in shellplate add a bullet, pull down, push up, rotate shellplate that's 5 motions. Gets tiring after a while.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

As one person mentioned, you can do 400 per hour on a 550.  As recently as yesterday upon my first squib (after about 30,000 rounds), I was told by a fellow competitor that I need a 650.  No I don't.  The squib was on me.  The powder system's plastic spacer retaining plug broke during a reloading session and caused me to lose track of where I was in the midst of cleaning up and resuming the session.  Not blaming the breakage, I just didn't manage everything right and ended up with that squib.  No harm done, no round fired after the squib, got the bullet out with no drama.

The 550 is a champ.  As long as I keep it clean and properly lubricated, it runs smoothly and cranks out consistently good ammo.

Even with a 550 I can easily keep up with six matches per month, about 1,000 rounds per month.  There might come a day when I shoot more than that but I don't foresee it until I'm retired.  I love the versatile, simple, robust 550.