Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Gear Starter Kit

tiro6

Looking for a little help with choosing a starter kit for trying out USPSA. Currently shooting with Raven Concealment kydex holster and mag pouches on a 5.11 duty belt, but want to get something a little slicker.

I've read in other forums where they recommend just buying a complete set like https://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/, which comes with BOSS holster, DAA belt, and Ghost pouches and don't worry about anything for now.

But I've also read on other threads in the BE forum where members recommend DAA Racer pouches and other holsters, so wondering if I should buy a complete kit like the above or a cheaper starter like: (https://www.ghostholsterdirect.com/shop/ghost-holster-stinger-rig-set/) or if I should piece it out, and buy the parts separately and get the best I can afford?

What gun, division are you planning on shooting?   The kit from Ben Stoeger Pro shop is pretty good and you will not be at any disadvantage as you progress.  Depending on how much you want to spend ghost pouches work well on cheaper side, DAA pouches will run the gaumet on price points and are very good.   Holster choice will most likely be determined by division, kydex vs race holster.  I personally like kydex for CO, Prod and limited.  Fraction of cost vs race holster and don't feel any slower on draws.

Using Glock 19 to start in Production (have been shooting flat range/steel challenges currently), but planning on switching over to 2011 and Limited once I get better with the platform. Was thinking about sticking with Kydex as well, since it's what I'm most used to, but appreciate the input!

If I might offer a suggestion that was given to me too late: Instead of shooting your G 19 in Production, shoot Limited minor. That way you can load up your mags and aren't needing to focus so much on re-loads while your learning the ropes. Major/ minor scoring won't matter as a beginner as your first goal is to finish without DQ. A kydex holster is great, hopefully one without the stupid retainer button. A couple of mag holders and you should be good to go!

if you look in the classified section, you can fill your needs cheaply.  Kydex will be fine but a race holster will serve you better in limited division.  

16 minutes ago, tiro6 said:

Using Glock 19 to start in Production (have been shooting flat range/steel challenges currently)

Shoot it in Limited minor, especially if you happen to have some G17 mags with +2s on them to reduce how often you have to change mags: 15rd mags means two mag changes in most stages at a minimum. Get up to 17-20 rounds and you start to have more options.

It only makes sense to start in Production if you plan to heavily compete in Production longterm. 

16 minutes ago, tiro6 said:

...but planning on switching over to 2011 and Limited once I get better with the platform.

Since you aren’t committed to production, start in Limited shooting Minor.

My belt rig recommendations of choice:

BOSS Holster / hanger

Shooters Connection brand belt. Very high quality for a very low price.

DAA Racer pouches. I shot GHOSTs for three years. These are better. Will not need to buy new pouches when you change to a 2011, they’ll accommodate both with a spacer change. You’ll just need a new holster body to drop onto your BOSS hanger.

Interesting note to start in Limited - hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

@MemphisMechanic - for the DAA Racer pouches, are you referring to the plastic or aluminum ones? The plastic ones are only $7 more than the Ghost, so not a huge extra cost compared to the aluminum or is the aluminum just that much better? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mcfoto said:

If I might offer a suggestion that was given to me too late: Instead of shooting your G 19 in Production, shoot Limited minor. That way you can load up your mags and aren't needing to focus so much on re-loads while your learning the ropes. Major/ minor scoring won't matter as a beginner as your first goal is to finish without DQ. A kydex holster is great, hopefully one without the stupid retainer button. A couple of mag holders and you should be good to go!

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Shoot it in Limited minor, especially if you happen to have some G17 mags with +2s on them to reduce how often you have to change mags: 15rd mags means two mag changes in most stages at a minimum. Get up to 17-20 rounds and you start to have more options.

Yes, start in Limited Minor instead of Production..........depending on you local laws governing mag capacity I suppose.

Don't spend anything on gear until you have 4 or 5 matches under your belt and you know better what you want......then spend away.

1 hour ago, tiro6 said:

Interesting note to start in Limited - hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

@MemphisMechanic - for the DAA Racer pouches, are you referring to the plastic or aluminum ones? The plastic ones are only $7 more than the Ghost, so not a huge extra cost compared to the aluminum or is the aluminum just that much better? Thanks!

Racers are plastic and what I use.

RaceMASTERS are aluminum and way too nice for someone like myself to have anything to do with.

I rocked a edc belt, double mag holder and my G19 for the first couple matches.    Look and ask, people are very willing to give advice and let you see what they run. 

I’m using a shooters connection belt, cr speed mag holders with my bladetech holster now.  (Think I’m upgrading to the boss hanger very soon)

I shot my first 4-5 months with all loner gear from my brother. Duty belt, 2 cheap double mag holders and blade tech holster. If you are only getting one holster, I’d get a kydex so that you can run whatever division(s) you want.

If you’re going to shoot limited starting with a Glock knowing you’re going to transition to a 2011 you may want to consider a double alpha holster. You’ll likely end up with a race holster anyway and you can just change the inserts vs buying a new holster to fit whatever gun you end up with.