Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Project - Should I Lighten Slide

Nic_USPSA_C

I have a STI project gun.  The slide has 0 cuts, seems to cycle slow.  The positive is that this gun runs, shoots flat, and the dot movement and return is great.

Should I cut the slide?  Remove material from the back, flat top, tri top, slots, etc.  If I do this would the flatness and dot movement change?  What target slide weight should I try to attain?

IMG_3836.jpg

What recoil spring are you currently using?   Lightening the slide evenly front and back will make the slide action faster and require a lighter recoil spring.  I had the slides on both my new Open guns lightened to 10.5 oz. from the original 13 oz.  I use a 7 lb. recoil spring with it.100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

If it shoots flat already, why lower the slide weight? I generally get my loads to the right PF, then tune the springs to the ammo for consistent return. If the dot doesn't leave the glass as you shoot what more do you expect to achieve?

If you cant pull the trigger faster than the slide cycles, dont lighten it to make the slide faster.  Now if it handles or feels heavy... makes transitions slow or draws slow because its heavy, that is a different story.  If it nosedives on recoil, maybe lighten it.  Reality I understand is most slides cycle in about  .08 of a second.  Even fastest trigger yankers have a speed limit of about .11 second.  Normal human splits are hard pressed to be much faster than .16 or so.  If youve ever heard or had a gun bump fire or go full auto, you will see its not likely you can outrun the slide.  If you want to lighten the slide for looks or for feel or for handling, have at it.  If you want to lighten it so it cycles faster, that is a waste especially when you describe the present function of the gun.