Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lg Pistol Vs Lg Rifle Primers

standles

All:

I did a saerch and found alot of info on SR vs. SP but not alot on my current problem. Seems when I was ordering my primers I order 5000 Winchester Lg Rifle instead of the Lg Pistol for reloading my 45. (dang I hate I hit that wrong button) I was going to work up a titegroup load for IDPA.

Is it possible/advisable to use these as LP in .45 TG loads but just start at the minimum suggested load and work up?

I ordered 24# of powder and 15K primers to bulk order on the haz mat charge. I don't relaod lg rifle and don't want to pay another $20 hazmat for 5K more primers. But I guess if I have to I have to.

What says the oracle of Enos.....

Steven

PS.

Anybody ever ship ammo to an out of state match? If so what packaging, placarding did you have to do to the box? Also did you encounter resistance from the shipper agent?

I don't recall the particulars, but the dimensions of the large sort of primers is slightly different from each other. The Small Pistol/Small Rifle primers do have the same dimension and that's why you see them interchanged.

Large rifle primers are "taller" than large pistol primers, with the primer pockets correspondingly different. There is overlap, with deep large pistol primer pockets and shallow large rifle primer pockets, but, in general, you should not interchange large primers.

The worst case situation is where the large rifle primer is seated in a shallow large pistol primer pocket. This could result in a slamfire in an autoloading pistol, and almost definitely will bind cylinder rotation in a revolver.

Either save them for use in a rifle, or see if you can trade them at the next gunshow.

Guy

Anybody ever ship ammo to an out of state match?  If so what packaging, placarding did you have to do to the box?  Also did you encounter resistance from the shipper agent?

Need to have an ORM-D sticker placed on the outside of the box and tell the shipper what they are carrying. Ammo has to be packed in a box, but not necessarily the factory box. UPS will ship ammo. When I shipped my ammo to the SMM3G this year, the counterperson at UPS didn't know their own regs (I brought them along) and after throwing every excuse at me, finally relented and agreed that it wasn't prohibited.

I had a charge that just barely made major in .45. I wanted to give it just a little more power, but didn't want to go up to the next disc size on my Lee Pro 1000 powder measure. It was suggested that I try large rifle primers to see if that gave me the extra wiggle room I was looking for. I did, and had no problems. The only thing is that I didn't see any difference in my power factor.

Long story short, I've used large rifle primers for .45 with no trouble.

Unfortunately, I have to wear glasses all the time. :( Never had a BOOM yet in 17 years, of course most of that was with pistol primers. Better to be lucky than good, I guess.

I've been told that the Pro 1000 kind of muscles some things instead of using finesse. That is why I have no trouble with the NT brass in .40.