Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone own a A01 LD yet?

jripper

Does anyone own a A01 LD yet?  I've had one on back order for a while now, and I'm starting to see a pictures of a few out and about. I'd like to hear first hand reviews.  Are they worth the money?

14 minutes ago, jripper said:

Does anyone own a A01 LD yet?  I've had one on back order for a while now, and I'm starting to see a pictures of a few out and about. I'd like to hear first hand reviews.  Are they worth the money?

any gun with hammer forged good steel frame and  sae 4140  slide with 5" bull  barrel worth the money.

U.S. custom fit .  easily much better than original cz75 model with cast frame and sloppy workmanship

that made from recycled Skoda.😉

19 hours ago, TobyJ said:

I ordered mine on Feb 3...I will finally have it on Thursday. So while I haven't shot one yet, I have handled one at czc...feels great in the hand. 

TobyJ

Let me know what you think when you get some rounds downrange.  I have handled one and was very impressed. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

How would an accu shadow 2 compare?  

Playing with an A01 and Accu2 side by side, the trigger felt more smooth on the A01 and the balance was different. My large hands preferred the Shadow, but the 01 was almost as comfortable.

Obviously the bull barrel and extra weight can go either way, depending on your preference

• 4 weeks later...

So I've got one now.  Not fired it  yet.  The single action is extremely crisp, pretty much no hammer camming on break.  The double is smooth, with the exception of a small hitch about 3/4 of the way back.  I've run into this before, and I think I can fix it, but I'm a little anxious about disassembly, as I understand the sear cage is pinned direct to the frame.  Anyone had one apart yet?  I ordered a 11 lb hammer and extended firing pin from Cajun, and going to install that to see how it feels.  Will shoot soon.  It's very well made, that's for sure! 

1 hour ago, jripper said:

So I've got one now.  Not fired it  yet.  The single action is extremely crisp, pretty much no hammer camming on break.  The double is smooth, with the exception of a small hitch about 3/4 of the way back.  I've run into this before, and I think I can fix it, but I'm a little anxious about disassembly, as I understand the sear cage is pinned direct to the frame.  Anyone had one apart yet?  I ordered a 11 lb hammer and extended firing pin from Cajun, and going to install that to see how it feels.  Will shoot soon.  It's very well made, that's for sure! 

Glad to hear that your initial impressions are good!  Mine arrives next week. 

What are you using for a holster?  I was hoping DAA would have an insert for it but sadly no. 

Does it look like a S2 mag release will fit in this gun?

Thanks! 

B. 

47 minutes ago, Hooked said:

What are you using for a holster?  I was hoping DAA would have an insert for it but sadly no. 

Thanks! 

B. 

CZC is in process of making some extended mag release.

1 hour ago, jripper said:

Just bustin on you , why wouldnt you buy the spring and firing pin from CZC 

12 minutes ago, Woodsk said:

I am just getting into CZs I heard the AO1 was production legal, but did not find it on the list.

Is it approved?

IPSC Production and Production Optics Legal. as well as 75 Bull Shadow and A01 SD

56 minutes ago, eerw said:

Just bustin on you , why wouldnt you buy the spring and firing pin from CZC 

I had a friend putting in a Cajun order,  through the parts in with it. 

1 hour ago, Hooked said:

Thanks! 

B. 

I don't have a holster yet.  I'll be looking towards USPSA production when it makes the list, so I'll be checking with Red Hills Tactical. It's not on there yet, so I'm not in a huge hurry for a holster. 

It rained yesterday, so instead of shooting, I took the A01LD apart.  First off, there are a few differences compared to a 75/shadow CZ.  The safety is a tumbler type, which was pretty tight and took a little effort to get out at first.  After removing the safety, you can see the sear pin, which goes all the way through the frame and sear cage, i.e. pinned directly to the frame.  This results in the sear cage having zero movement when installed, and I'm sure the reason the AO1 ld has the best single action of any CZ I've handled out of the box, with almost zero hammer camming.  The top of the sear cage looks like it has been milled down a bit, I assume due to a differences in tolerances from A01 to the 75.  It also looks like it's a forged part, although I may be wrong on this.  The hammer and sear pins are unidirectional.  One end is larger than the other, and appears to be a tight fit into the frame.  There is no retaining pin on the hammer pin.  I did not remove the hammer yet, as I didn't need to do so for what I was doing.  From what I can see, it appears that the hammer strut is polished and does not need any attention, but as I stated I did not take the hammer out yet. 

Once removing the sear cage, you are going to have the sear and sear spring loose.  I made a capture pin so that I could reassemble this before I installed it into the gun.  The sear, sear spring, and hammer all appear to be cz 75 parts. 

The trigger, trigger pin, and stirrup all disassemble like a standard CZ.  The trigger stirrup does look like it is of better quality than some I have seen, but that may be a luck of the draw.  The stirrup and sear cage have not been polished, thus resulting in a stagey feel to the double action pull.  Before my work, my DA pull was about 8lbs 4 ounces, and single was 3 lbs 1 or 2 ounces.  The double had a distinct "hitch" in it.

I polished the parts as per regular procedure, as there was no polishing done.  While I understand it is supposed to be a "Production" pistol, at the price point I would think this would be done already.  But, it did not bother me as I do l like to tinker with my guns.  The hammer spring comes out as normal, but there is no mag break, and the spring cap is of different design.  I replaced the stock spring with an 11 lb, and put in an extended firing pin. 

I reassembled the trigger and replaced the pin with a Cajun  free float which I had in the parts box. 

I assembled the sear cage using the slave pin I made out of some bulk roll pins I had.  By assembling this outside of the gun, reassembly was pretty painless.  I drove the slave pin out with the sear pin, and worked fairly smoothly. All else assembles as normal.

So, my finished project has a smooth double action pull of just under 6 lbs, single action is 2 lbs 12 ounces give or take. 

Next post will be with my shooting impressions.  If the weather gets better, I should have some time Thursday or this weekend. to try it out. 

5 hours ago, jripper said:

It rained yesterday, so instead of shooting, I took the A01LD apart.  First off, there are a few differences compared to a 75/shadow CZ.  The safety is a tumbler type, which was pretty tight and took a little effort to get out at first.  After removing the safety, you can see the sear pin, which goes all the way through the frame and sear cage, i.e. pinned directly to the frame.  This results in the sear cage having zero movement when installed, and I'm sure the reason the AO1 ld has the best single action of any CZ I've handled out of the box, with almost zero hammer camming.  The top of the sear cage looks like it has been milled down a bit, I assume due to a differences in tolerances from A01 to the 75.  It also looks like it's a forged part, although I may be wrong on this.  The hammer and sear pins are unidirectional.  One end is larger than the other, and appears to be a tight fit into the frame.  There is no retaining pin on the hammer pin.  I did not remove the hammer yet, as I didn't need to do so for what I was doing.  From what I can see, it appears that the hammer strut is polished and does not need any attention, but as I stated I did not take the hammer out yet. 

Once removing the sear cage, you are going to have the sear and sear spring loose.  I made a capture pin so that I could reassemble this before I installed it into the gun.  The sear, sear spring, and hammer all appear to be cz 75 parts. 

The trigger, trigger pin, and stirrup all disassemble like a standard CZ.  The trigger stirrup does look like it is of better quality than some I have seen, but that may be a luck of the draw.  The stirrup and sear cage have not been polished, thus resulting in a stagey feel to the double action pull.  Before my work, my DA pull was about 8lbs 4 ounces, and single was 3 lbs 1 or 2 ounces.  The double had a distinct "hitch" in it.

I polished the parts as per regular procedure, as there was no polishing done.  While I understand it is supposed to be a "Production" pistol, at the price point I would think this would be done already.  But, it did not bother me as I do l like to tinker with my guns.  The hammer spring comes out as normal, but there is no mag break, and the spring cap is of different design.  I replaced the stock spring with an 11 lb, and put in an extended firing pin. 

I reassembled the trigger and replaced the pin with a Cajun  free float which I had in the parts box. 

I assembled the sear cage using the slave pin I made out of some bulk roll pins I had.  By assembling this outside of the gun, reassembly was pretty painless.  I drove the slave pin out with the sear pin, and worked fairly smoothly. All else assembles as normal.

So, my finished project has a smooth double action pull of just under 6 lbs, single action is 2 lbs 12 ounces give or take. 

Next post will be with my shooting impressions.  If the weather gets better, I should have some time Thursday or this weekend. to try it out. 

Thanks for the detailed info.  Mine arrived this morning and I’ve had just enough time to wipe off the packing grease.

First impressions:  love the overall grip profile and balance of the gun.  The gun is substantial in the hands which is my preference.  It should soak up recoil easily.

One negative is the amount of trigger pre-travel. Seems like a lot when compared to my S2 which has a 85 trigger with a pre-travel set screw. It’s also stagey as jripper mentioned.

Fit and finish is excellent and unlike my other CZ 75 variants, I don’t think I will need any aftermarket grips for this one.

Can’t wait to get it to the range!

17 hours ago, Hooked said:

Thanks for the detailed info.  Mine arrived this morning and I’ve had just enough time to wipe off the packing grease.

First impressions:  love the overall grip profile and balance of the gun.  The gun is substantial in the hands which is my preference.  It should soak up recoil easily.

One negative is the amount of trigger pre-travel. Seems like a lot when compared to my S2 which has a 85 trigger with a pre-travel set screw. It’s also stagey as jripper mentioned.

Fit and finish is excellent and unlike my other CZ 75 variants, I don’t think I will need any aftermarket grips for this one.

Can’t wait to get it to the range!

Interesting.  Mine had minimal pre-travel.  I agree on the grips.  They feel perfect for me also.  I feel for the price point the trigger, even though easily fixed, should have been polished up to start with.