Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FYI: Dawson SS Ice and SS IPSC magwell weights

cheers623

I thought I’d posted this information before but can’t find it. I’m currently putting together my SS minor rig and was weighing various components to monitor weight (I.e. staying under 43oz). Anyway, I just weighed both the Dawson single stack Ice and Dawson single stack IPSC magwells with ISMI 19# mainspring and mainspring cap and lower detent plug and they are identical at 1.6oz on my postal scale. In case you’re wondering which is lighter...they’re the same! 

I’m gonna go with the IPSC because seating the 9mm Wilson mags during a reload with slide closed can sometimes be iffy with the regular because not as much basepad sticks out. Hope this helps someone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 11:10 AM, 223to45 said:

Good to know.
I have the ICE one and was thinking of switching because of mag seating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Since you already have the magwell, it's probably cheaper for you to buy some Dawson basepads and keep the Ice magwell.

Starting from scratch, the IPSC is the way to go, saves  you the cost of basepads (about $13.00 each). Gets scratched up with use, but so what? 

And remember to factor the weight of those basepads into your gun. They're aluminum, so heavier than the plastic that most mags come with.

Since you already have the magwell, it's probably cheaper for you to buy some Dawson basepads and keep the Ice magwell.

I do have the base pads. No Gap pads.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just to throw a wrench in the works and also explain why I have both....I'm just a little smoother with the ICE version than the IPSC version...I keep going back and forth...

YMMV