Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Glock 24 In Limited

TacticalReload

Hey, folks. I have a question. A little while back, I picked up a NIB Glock 24 that I was considering for use as a Limited gun. However, until I was in a position to start USPSA, it has been sitting in the safe, unfired. Now I have time to start thinking about it again.

Here's my question, I have never fired a longslide Glock before. My IDPA gun is a G34. I like the way it handles, but I'm not completely sold on it as the "perfect" length. I'm an Expert class shooter in IDPA so I'm neither a Master nor a Novice. I'm a fan of longer sight radius guns and that's what draws me to the G24 (rather than the extra weight up front, which doesn't matter all that much to me).

I would like to decide on the G24 before I shoot it, in case I want to sell it instead to fund the G35 purchase -- it'll obviously bring more $$$ than if I put a hundred rounds down the pipe. I know that I really should just shoot it to see how I like it, but I want to be as frugal as possible, and the shooting sports is a hard hobby to keep when you're trying not to drive yourself into the poorhouse. ;)

So in your opinions, would the G35 make a better Limited platform than the G24? I'd love to hear some pros and cons!

Thanks in advance.

I suggest shooting the 24 compared to the 34, and see what YOU think. I doubt you will depreciate a glock at all by taking her for a test drive. It is a glock afterall. If you do try it out, let us know what you think.

I've not shot a 24, but I love the 34/35. Cheers,

-joker22

Here's my question, I have never fired a longslide Glock before.  My IDPA gun is a G34.  [...]

So in your opinions, would the G35 make a better Limited platform than the G24?  I'd love to hear some pros and cons!

Thanks in advance.

I looked really hard at the G24 at a local gunshow recently before buying a G35. Like you, I also have a G34 that I'm ambivalent about. IMO, the G24 was just a tad TOO funky, but that's my taste only, and this from a "U" classified L10 shooter.

If you sell it, you probably won't be able to match high-volume dealers on the latest production run of this pistol ($620-$640), and if you shoot it, you'll get even less, no? I kinda disagree with Joker -- I think there's a big difference between "NIB" and "Barely Used," but in the grand scheme of things, any cost difference will probably go to pay for ammo or match fees anyway, so what the hell. Shoot it, and if you like it, great, and if not, get the 35. <shrug>

If you really want to be frugal, just shoot the 24. Commit to shooting with it for at least a year, then give yourself permission to buy the "perfect for you" gun to continue shooting the game.....

After a year, you'll know if the game's for you ---- or if you're ready to move on to something else....

All good advice... it's a shame I don't have a stock 24 local to rent. I'm guessing it won't make *that* much of a difference; but if I do shoot it, hate it, and sell it, I'm guessing that I will lose at least $75 in depreciation... that's a lot of reloaded ammo I could be shooting instead.

I have a 24 and a 35 and I shoot them both in limited class. I highly reccommend giving the 24 a chance. I really like the way it handles and I seem to have better results with 30-50 yd. shots with the 24. I normally shot my 35 at indoor matches where the stages are not as challenging due to a lack of space. I run a 19 lb. spring with loads that just meet major power factor and that makes for a soft shooting .40 caliber. I also have a KKM barrel that I am very happy with. I would give the 24 a shot if I were you. It is a great gun to compete with.

I've been shooting my G35 for the last 2 years in Limited & L-10. I've recently purchased the G24 (just gota to have 1)and have switched to shooting it over my G35. I transfered my tungsten guide rod from my G35 and use a 15lb Wolff spring. Got the trigger kit from Ralph and it have been running great. Like anything else, practice with it and get use to it. The slide moves slower but the gun stays flat. Target transition is a little slower (again, more practice needed). I also like the long sight radius. It all depends on the nut controlling the trigger B) .

Ive also got a 24 and have shot it very little. I havent had a chance to load my match ammo for it to actually see what weight spring I want in it (I already have a good idea, but want to shoot it to see anyway). I definitely keeping mine. If you shoot yours and dont like it, let me know, I might buy another one.

I also have a 34 and 35, but have not shot them with my 40 Limited major load.

Also, dont forget about the G20 with an aftermarket barrel for shooting Lim/Lim10. I took Flex's advice and got a KKM aftermarket 40 barrel for it and it shoots pretty damn good. I just havent been able to load match ammo for 40 to see which one I like best. I will say, the G20 shot pretty good and took the recoil without much recoil. Something to think about.

Maybe my "no depreciation" theory is groundless, I just cannot imagine having a 24 sitting around and not shooting it. I think a 24c with a solid kkm or barsto barrel would be about the best glock possible for limted or L10. Hmm, maybe I will shoot limited next year... Just try it and tell me what you think - please. Cheers,

-joker22

Having shot a 24 or 17L for much of my IPSC time, I am a believer in the long slide. My 24 took me to A class. For those that say the slide moves too slow, I say that I still can't hammer splits as fast as I could with that 24. Once you internalize trigger reset instead of trigger prep, it's darn quick and accurate. It points really quick as it's so light! With a lightning strike striker, a reduced power striker spring, a bit of Flitz on the crucible and a steel guide rod with lighter recoil spring, it's a sweeeeeet set up. I look at it longingly in my safe from time to time but I can't really shoot it and I can't bear to sell it. I always used 200 grain bullets and that was back in the days of 175 pf. With my current STI 6" (do you see a trend?), I run 180's.

I'd give her a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Having shot a 24 or 17L for much of my IPSC time, I am a believer in the long slide. My 24 took me to A class.  For those that say the slide moves too slow, I say that I still can't hammer splits as fast as I could with that 24.  Once you internalize trigger reset instead of trigger prep, it's darn quick and accurate.  It points really quick as it's so light!  With a lightning strike striker, a reduced power striker spring, a bit of Flitz on the crucible and a steel guide rod with lighter recoil spring, it's a sweeeeeet set up.  I look at it longingly in my safe from time to time but I can't really shoot it and I can't bear to sell it.  I always used 200 grain bullets and that was back in the days of 175 pf.  With my current STI 6" (do you see a trend?), I run 180's.

I'd give her a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Very interesting Carina. Why the change in bullet weights from 200 to 180 with the different guns (Glock to STI)?

Thanks,

Very interesting Carina. Why the change in bullet weights from 200 to 180 with the different guns (Glock to STI)?

Thanks,

My guess would be the power factor she mentioned. (175 vs. 165). The 200s should feel softer at 175 than 180s at 175, but might feel sluggish at 165, whereas the 180s feel just right.

I have a G24 that I use every once in a while for L10 and Limited. I took about 2 oz's out of the front of the slide and did all the rest of the normal Glock stuff to it. Shoots very nice............

I was thinking of sending it off to have more weight taken off of it. Novaks has some mods he does that takes off some weight.

i think we often get caught up in equipment mania. as long as you have a decent gun that works, 99% of your results come from you, not the gun. i switched from a 17 to a 34 this year. i bet my results would have been identical had i continued with the 17 instead. i say pick a gun, pick a load, and shoot it...a lot. since you already have a brand new 24, i'd go with that.

Shoot what you have. IF you have the G24, shoot it. You will spend extra money on another pistol that you could be spending on ammo to shoot. I will shoot my G17 for production and venture of into Limited 10 with it one day. It is what I have and what I am good at shooting.

Its pretty easy to shave some weight off of the G24. If you do it in the front near the muzzle it helps reduce the nose heavy feeling.............

Bob,

Where you take your weight off of, the guide rod tunnel that extends to the muzzle? Did you take weight off the top or sides of the slide at all?

Small round holes/ports in the sides of the slide forward of the ejection port and by shortening and recontouring the guide rod tunnel. I also went isside the slide and thinned out the sides of the slide a small amount (about .20" if I remember correctly. If I can get it back from my buddy who borrowed it about 8 months ago and never brought it back I will shoot some pictures and post them.