Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering S&W 627 ICORE

sigfla

I have guns for Classic and Limited 6 for ICORE. I have never shot this discipline but want to try it out. I was thinking originally about buying a 929 BUT I do not want a 9mm revolver that isn't actually chambered for 9mm. Pity bc I really liked the 929, however I do not reload and have no desire to create a custom round for it. The 627 from what I am reading seems to be the better gun for a guy like me shooting factory ammo. I can use it for Limited and add the comp to shoot open if I choose. Wondering what the forums thought was for a newbie like myself? Will I have any problems making PF with factory 38sp loads? 

Both the 627 and 929 are a fine choice. 

If you are happy with loading factory 38 specials then the 627 sounds like it will work perfectly for you. 

Skip the Comp if you move to open, just get a proper dot and that’s all you need.

12 minutes ago, sigfla said:

I have guns for Classic and Limited 6 for ICORE. I have never shot this discipline but want to try it out. I was thinking originally about buying a 929 BUT I do not want a 9mm revolver that isn't actually chambered for 9mm. Pity bc I really liked the 929, however I do not reload and have no desire to create a custom round for it. The 627 from what I am reading seems to be the better gun for a guy like me shooting factory ammo. I can use it for Limited and add the comp to shoot open if I choose. Wondering what the forums thought was for a newbie like myself? Will I have any problems making PF with factory 38sp loads? 

The 9mm 929 will shoot factory ammo all day long. Mine does, and has been since I bought it 3 years ago. 

1 minute ago, revolver45 said:

The 9mm 929 will shoot factory ammo all day long. Mine does, and has been since I bought it 3 years ago. 

If I could be 100% that the accuracy is there I would go 929. I like everything about it. I just have seen a lot of negatives about the bore diameter so it makes me nervous. For the $$ I want a 9mm gun thats actually a 9mm not a .357. 

8 minutes ago, revolver45 said:

Mine has a .355 bore. I actually had a 38 Super cylinder fitted to it and shoot it as both, depending on what match. I'm going to. 

Hmm, most of the reviews I see are a bit older. Maybe S&W fixed the issue with .357 barrels. I admit I am no pro but if the barrel is a true 9mm in current production I like the 929. Will I have trouble making PF with factory 147's? I want to shoot legal. 

I went with 627 because I was already loading.38 special. Then went .38 short colt which is essentially a rimmed 9. Oh well. Came down to I find the 5 “ 627 a more attractive gun than the 6” 929 but none of the competitions I attend award beauty prizes. Either one should serve you well.

1 minute ago, jdk62738super said:

I don't think S&W changed the barrels , I have two of them and I shoot .358 9mm bullets from both. They are about 3 years apart.

John

I must have gotten lucky with mine. Power Custom did the work on it for me and said the barrel is .355. I shoot 356 38 Super 147 grain from Berrys and the shoot great. 

2 hours ago, sigfla said:

Hmm, most of the reviews I see are a bit older. Maybe S&W fixed the issue with .357 barrels. I admit I am no pro but if the barrel is a true 9mm in current production I like the 929. Will I have trouble making PF with factory 147's? I want to shoot legal. 

Maybe, just maybe, most of what you read in the internet is bulls#!t?

Well there is plenty of issues cited here. If I can't somewhat rely on BE forum then I guess I will just gamble with 1K + in guns and gear to satisfy your opinion of the internets BS level. Thanks anyway for the input. To everyone else I appreciate the shared knowledge and experience.