Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm tough on downstroke from bell on powder feed

Exactly what the topic states. Sticking on downstroke on powder dispenser. I’m assuming it’s from the slight bell for the bullet application: I’ve tried more or less, but if I do none, bullets hard to seat and I have to feed it all the way up the seat die.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What head stamp are you using? I know from experience that i had experienced the same when using CBC and S & B head stamped brass. They are thicker than federal, Win and blazer hence the brass tries to spring back to its original size.

What helped for me was adding lube to the brass. I put a hundred is so in a ziplock bag, squirt some Dillon case lube and shake/mix to coat the brass with the lube. This prevented the sticking you are experiencing.

I just had to tumble the ammo for about 15 minutes afterwards to remove the case lube.

Give it a try and see if it helps. I know it helped me.

What head stamp are you using? I know from experience that i had experienced the same when using CBC and S & B head stamped brass. They are thicker than federal, Win and blazer hence the brass tries to spring back to its original size.

What helped for me was adding lube to the brass. I put a hundred is so in a ziplock bag, squirt some Dillon case lube and shake/mix to coat the brass with the lube. This prevented the sticking you are experiencing.

I just had to tumble the ammo for about 15 minutes afterwards to remove the case lube.

Give it a try and see if it helps. I know it helped me.

Mix of Luger, military and WIN. I wet tumble so I do not want to use lube. Plus I use lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol and find it much better

Dillons case lube is a mixture of lanolin and alcohol.

Wet tumbling makes the brass really dry and the brass will have more resistance going through the dies. Dry tumbling with either corn cob or crushed walnut leaves a thin film of dust on the cases which acts like a dry graphite grease.

Dillons case lube is a mixture of lanolin and alcohol.

Wet tumbling makes the brass really dry and the brass will have more resistance going through the dies. Dry tumbling with either corn cob or crushed walnut leaves a thin film of dust on the cases which acts like a dry graphite grease.

Well in that case, I get it 10x cheaper haha.

I wet tumble with pins because old brass looks like this. defc9d96f9e522579fd96485ba2c96d5.jpg

The key is the inside of the brass is so clean from wet tumbling the powder funnel is sticking.
You can buff that powder funnel, some have a bit of success doing it.
I recommend Hornady One Shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The key is the inside of the brass is so clean from wet tumbling the powder funnel is sticking.
You can buff that powder funnel, some have a bit of success doing it.
I recommend Hornady One Shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had some success buffing the funnel but over time it starts to stick again. A quick spray of One Shot per double fistful of brass and no issues. That's my recommendation

And all the recommendations still call some sort of lubricant be it one shot or dillons case lube.

Doesnt matter if you got your lube 10x cheaper or not, it was just an example of lube (here I stated dillons) that you can use to prevent sticking. You asked for thoughts and you got them yet all I hear you saying is how cheap your home-made lube is and how clean your brass are. I know how cheap your home made lube is  since I made my own case lube years ago consisting of 99 %isopropyl alcohol and lanolin courtesy of the  internet.

Edited by George16

I had some success buffing the funnel but over time it starts to stick again. A quick spray of One Shot per double fistful of brass and no issues. That's my recommendation

Please read posts above. I do not want to lube my brass before I put powder in it. By the way, one shot is garbage

And all the recommendations still call some sort of lubricant be it one shot or dillons case lube.

Doesnt matter if you got your lube 10x cheaper or not, it was just an example of lube (here I stated dillons) that you can use to prevent sticking. You asked for thoughts and you got them yet all I hear you saying is how cheap your home-made lube is and how clean your brass are. I know how cheap your home made lube is  since I made my own case lube years ago consisting of 99 %isopropyl alcohol and lanolin courtesy of the  internet.

I figured it out without the lube. Thanks for reading through the thread saying I didn’t want to lube. You were a great help. Laugh. Believe me, nothing I have is cheap. I have over 5k in Dillon gear and a Mark 7.

Consider this thread closed, I appreciate your “outside the box” thinking. Barf

Please read posts above. I do not want to lube my brass before I put powder in it. By the way, one shot is garbage

Good for you. It's the solution to the issue in case anyone less bullheaded comes and reads this later.

Go ahead and polish your powder funnel every thousand rounds. Should work okay for a while after you do it, slowly getting more and more difficult until you need to polish again.

The fact is that stainless tumbling leaves the brass absolutely clean with no dust or lube. Metal on metal with no lube is going to gall eventually. I suppose you could graphite or dry tumble after you wet tumble.

3 minutes ago, TheArmoredShop said:

I figured it out without the lube. Thanks for reading through the thread saying I didn’t want to lube. You were a great help. Laugh. Believe me, nothing I have is cheap. I have over 5k in Dillon gear and a Mark 7.

Consider this thread closed, I appreciate your “outside the box” thinking. Barf

Good for you.

Next time, try to use your brains in sorting things out before asking questions and then acting like a jackass after recommendations were made.

It doesn’t matter how expesive your equipment are if you can barely operate them properly. Flaunting what you got just shows what’s type of personality you have. 

Bye Felicia!

Good for you.

Next time, try to use your brains in sorting things out before asking questions and then acting like a jackass after recommendations were made.

It doesn’t matter how expesive your equipment are if you can barely operate them properly. Flaunting what you got just shows what’s type of personality you have. 

Bye Felicia!
Preach. Hope people see this in the future and remember what kind of person he was when people offered help.

Perhaps in the future he can buy some knowledge to match his fancy gear

5 minutes ago, jmtyndall said:

Preach. Hope people see this in the future and remember what kind of person he was when people offered help.

Perhaps in the future he can buy some knowledge to match his fancy gear

I agree 1000000%.