Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Hill tactical holster

Czgunsalot

I will never own or let a friend buy anything from RHT, I'd literally rather buy them a holster from another vendor.

I bought a RHT holster for a Shadow 2 a little while back... I got one of their "HD" models from/through Shooter's Connection because they had one for the S2 in-stock, and there were no "ready to ship" models available on RHT's site and I didn't want to wait 30 or so days to use my new gun in some upcoming matches. The "HD" models are single-layer, but the kydex is really thick (just barely less thick than RHT's double-layer holsters), they are black only and they're like $10 cheaper than a double-layer.

For me getting the "HD" holster right away was about getting to use the gun in matches as soon as possible, not about saving the $10. I had already planned on ordering a whole new rig from RHT that would have included a new double-layer holster, 5 pistol mag pouches,  and 1 PCC mag pouch once I decided on what colors I wanted or how crazy I wanted to bling it out and whether I wanted to try one of their new belts too or not, it would have easily been over $250, probably closer to $300 or more when all said and done...

Well, the holster I got must've been made around 5 o'clock on a Friday or something, not at all like the RHT stuff I had seen at matches, it was very poorly formed (seen ones done DIY in guys' garages done better) and basically had zero retention at all, totally unusable, had to crank the retention screws down to where they were sticking out the other side of the hardware nearly 1/2" to get retention, and by then, because the holster was so poorly done, it was nearly impossible to draw in any kind of normal manner... 

Contacted Shooters Connection about it, who then told me to call RHT first, saying it was a manufacturer issue and they'd help me if RHT wouldn't, but they couldn't imagine RHT not making it right ...

Called RHT, told them what was up, they were like "send it in and we'll fix it", to which I replied "great", BUT then I asked the gentleman on the phone to email me a shipping label... He was like "we don't normally do that", I then asked why it was fair that I pay for shipping to them when their product wasn't made correctly in the first place? He agreed that wasn't fair, and had me hold for a few minutes... He returned and explained that I had to record a short video of how the holster wasn't fitting right and then email it to them, then they would determine if I was entitled to them paying for shipping in order to fix their improperly crafted holster... So now, I was starting to get annoyed, but figured what the hell and recorded a short video and emailed it to them... I then wasted some more time having about 4 back and forth volleys of emails over the next 2 days in order for them to download and watch the video (insert face-palm emoji).

Finally, after 3-4 days from my first call, I got an email from RHT's owner that was equal parts condescending and confrontational, zero percent humble or accommodating; basically, and I'm paraphrasing here, he said he watched the video and that if I understood how a competition holster was meant to be used I'd know that it having almost zero retention was just fine, and me showing in the video that if I cranked the screws way down it'd hold the gun meant the holster was fine and therefore I'd have to pay for shipping if I wanted them to look at it.

I replied that their lack of customer service and the waste of my time was insulting.

Adding further insult, I then called Shooters Connection, whom I've literally been buying items from for over a decade, to arrange to ship the non-useable holster I had  bought from them back to them (as the manufacturer wouldn't help me... and exactly as they had said to do remember), only to have their representative tell me after I explained the situation "well if it's not right we don't want it". There was more said that was even sadder, but I finally just hung up because their representative made it clear they didn't care to help either.

I honestly have no idea what either of these people I dealt with at these companies were thinking about, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't good customer service.

In RHT's owner's case, I just think it was hubris... it was only over a few dollars, but you can't put a price on matters of principal. As a business owner I know him sending me, or any other unhappy customer, a shipping label would've just been another tax write-off and/or operating expense. And now, instead of it costing him a few dollars, it cost him at least one $300+ sale, plus whatever me telling this story of my experience to every other shooter I find myself in a squad with or on a forum with when the subject of RHT holsters comes up costs. His company doesn't make or offer anything that at least a few other companies do as well, and based on my experience I recommend you purchase from someone else.

Sadly same with Shooters Connection, there are other places to get the same items they carry, from vendors who maybe care about customer service more.   

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

IBTL

So... this is probably going to sound confrontational, and I'm honestly not trying to be. This is an actual, legitimate question, with no veiled or implicit criticism of anyone. But I've seen this happen a lot recently, and I'm genuinely curious. What's the appropriate context, if any, for criticizing vendors or gear in this forum?

I'm not the type of person to start or derail a thread just to complain, but I have had a couple of bad experiences with some popular vendors (including RHT). Normally, I'm content to just vote with my wallet and not stir anything up online, but if someone asks a direct question about a specific item from a specific vendor that I had issues with, I feel like it's fair to mention negative first-hand experience, and that I'd actually be doing the questioner a disservice by not bringing up. 

Again, I can totally understand trying to keep things civil if there are questionably-relevant screeds being posted, and people start arguing just to argue. But I'm a little unclear as to where that bar is, based on some recent observations.

10 minutes ago, Steve133 said:

So... this is probably going to sound confrontational, and I'm honestly not trying to be. This is an actual, legitimate question, with no veiled or implicit criticism of anyone. But I've seen this happen a lot recently, and I'm genuinely curious. What's the appropriate context, if any, for criticizing vendors or gear in this forum?

I'm not the type of person to start or derail a thread just to complain, but I have had a couple of bad experiences with some popular vendors (including RHT). Normally, I'm content to just vote with my wallet and not stir anything up online, but if someone asks a direct question about a specific item from a specific vendor that I had issues with, I feel like it's fair to mention negative first-hand experience, and that I'd actually be doing the questioner a disservice by not bringing up. 

Again, I can totally understand trying to keep things civil if there are questionably-relevant screeds being posted, and people start arguing just to argue. But I'm a little unclear as to where that bar is, based on some recent observations.

Interesting.... Note my deleted post in this thread.  Kind of silly, but I decided to delete the post about a minute after I posted it.  

to review the guidelines on this subject:

"Hate Rants
Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual."

Back in the early days of this forum, there were some back and forth threads between a couple major suppliers and their supporters. There was no way to determine what was real and what was fantasy. What was clear was the heat that Brian was getting from the parties involved for letting "false" information exist on the forum. Since there was really no way to determine what was real without making it a full-time career, it was decided to just not allow it --- here.

We all know that stuff happens and suppliers can have issues. Feel free to complain to your heart's content. Just not here.

Thanks,

Chuck