Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using electronics for stage props

I am looking for any info and/ or ideas for using electronics for stage props. Right now I am using electromagnets, linear actuators, laser triggers, pressure pad. Going to try some pneumatic stuff. Looking for anything else that folks use. Like how to pull a pin from a drop turner, any ideas

Thanks 

I don't know the mechanical or electrical of it at all, but I shot a local match years ago where they had targets activated by you walking through a sensor and even more interesting, from the audible cue of gun shots. Like after it heard X number of shots it was activating a drop turner.

But yeah, I've seen what I think are garage door sensors used for activating targets as the shooter moves through the beam.

• 2 weeks later...

The most important things are durable and consistent.

How will it work in the rain, heat, cold, wind, etc.

How will it work through multiple shooters who are not known for gentle prop usage.

Many years ago I was running a nationals stage called Walt's Garage. Half way through the match the garage door motor blew up and cost us 4 hours downtime replacing it. The next day I had to run the scheduled shooters plus a half days shooters from the day before. Additionally the push button that activated the garage door had to be replaced every four squads.

Gee whiz stages look good on paper but often turn into mega clusters.

You don't need gee whiz to design a challenging stage.

Edited by Gary Stevens

• 2 months later...

I too like the idea of electronic “eye” sensors and motors, but in practice they rarely hold up to the abuses of USPSA shooters. Simplistic cables have enough problems themselves. I’m a fan of clamshell targets and knockdowns for their simplicity.

• 2 months later...

Make it simple and make it bulletproof (literally)

I’ve seen eye type sensors used before and caused issues when they didn’t pick up some shooters, eg. Anyone wearing black pants wouldn’t trip the eye for some reason, Costs tons of reshoots and downtime. 

Remember not only are the users (shooters) going to be hard on them, those same people will be resetting the stage and probably no more gentle with the props at that time.