Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focusing on the moment

Salsantini

Was shooting with some friends last night.  I commented on how much better I feel/ that my mind is more relaxed during the shooting session and immediately after.   While shooting I am very focused on the task at hand.  One of my friends said it is because we are focused on the moment.    All other things are not in your mind.    Never thought of it in these terms before.  I think this is much like meditation.  Clearing your mind of all other things.

2 hours ago, Salsantini said:

Was shooting with some friends last night.  I commented on how much better I feel/ that my mind is more relaxed during the shooting session and immediately after.   While shooting I am very focused on the task at hand.  One of my friends said it is because we are focused on the moment.    All other things are not in your mind.    Never thought of it in these terms before.  I think this is much like meditation.  Clearing your mind of all other things.

The problem in a match setting is that emptying your mind and focusing like this is very difficult for many people to do on command. The alternative most people settle on is giving your conscious mind a single task to focus on and letting everything else happen subconsciously. 

Lanny Bassham does a good job explaining this in With Winning in Mind, and Steve Anderson has translated it for USPSA (and similar sports) in his books. 

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

The problem in a match setting is that emptying your mind and focusing like this is very difficult for many people to do on command. The alternative most people settle on is giving your conscious mind a single task to focus on and letting everything else happen subconsciously. 

Lanny Bassham does a good job explaining this in With Winning in Mind, and Steve Anderson has translated it for USPSA (and similar sports) in his books. 

I think you correct.  In a match setting it is not always possible to do this.  I was likening this to a form of relaxation.

23 hours ago, DKorn said:

After not shooting competitively for some 30 years, I am working on this.  I have a card on my bag that says:  Grip the gun, see the sights.  Eventually I hope to eliminate one of these :)

Visualize as much as possible your stage run before you are on deck,  the stage run will all come from your subconscious mind, it will seem you are shooting in slow motion. you will be astonished on your results..

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, DKorn said:

I highly recommend the Lanny Bassham/Steve Anderson translation DKorn is talking about. Once I started following this way of thinking & training it kicked me up to the next level. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been entering this state of being in the moment with a clear mind more and more and every time it happens i perform my best. Focusing intently on one thing at “stand by” seems to help (sometimes just a spot on the ground or edge of a target)

This!  My first match back after a decade a few weeks ago.  There was a stage that I decided to shoot with a different strategy than the rest of the squad, because I knew it was faster.  Halfway into the stage, I found myself celebrating being right. 

And then, it promptly fell apart...   Rookie mistake that I'll have to recondition myself to stay in the moment and focus on what I'm doing. 

This!  My first match back after a decade a few weeks ago.  There was a stage that I decided to shoot with a different strategy than the rest of the squad, because I knew it was faster.  Halfway into the stage, I found myself celebrating being right. 

And then, it promptly fell apart...   Rookie mistake that I'll have to recondition myself to stay in the moment and focus on what I'm doing. 

This happened to me just yesterday in Steve Anderson’s class. We were doing a shot calling/transition drill on steel. Goal was to keep shooting left popper right popper back and forth until you missed. I reloaded after 20 hits and as soon as I thought “damn! I’m still going strong” I missed. 24 total hits. Nearly everyone in the class had a similar experience. One they started thinking about the shooting instead of just staying in the moment, they missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/20/2019 at 11:44 AM, DKorn said:

So true about the match setting. We have to learn to overcome the subconscious mind.  Subconsciousness is a defensive mechanism put in place that constantly telling you you can't do something. I had a really great brain trading session with a gentleman named Henry Hopking. I was introduced to him by my father, who's a world class FITASC and Sporting Clay shooting. I utilized his techniques for competitive shooting and rally driving, and the way he teaches you to harness certain waves, Theta, Alpha, and Beta, brings tremendous level of insight and discipline.