Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm range brass

glocklover

Look at it this way....you spend all this money on a flawless running open gun, tuned magazines, practice for the match, travel, hotel room, meals and match fees.  Then you cheap out on the single item that makes the gun function.  I always would buy new brass shoot it once prior to the match, reload it and eliminate a potential problem that is within your control.  You don't see the NASCAR teams using recapped tires.....

7 hours ago, DirtDiver said:

Look at it this way....you spend all this money on a flawless running open gun, tuned magazines, practice for the match, travel, hotel room, meals and match fees.  Then you cheap out on the single item that makes the gun function.  I always would buy new brass shoot it once prior to the match, reload it and eliminate a potential problem that is within your control.  You don't see the NASCAR teams using recapped tires.....

To each their own but buying new 9mm brass is ludicrous. 

8 hours ago, DirtDiver said:

I understand your thought process here, if you are solely talking about major / national matches.  I could see that, it really wouldn't be that expensive.  If you are talking about all matches including local, that you may be shooting 2-3 each month plus practices, that would get expensive versus 2-3 per year.  If you were going to buy that much brass new, I would go ahead recommend switching to 38 Super and try to retrieve as much of your brass as you could.

Just curious. You guys that buy match brass, are you roll sizing your range brass?

I was already roll sizing before I switched to open so have always roll sized it.

If you are roll sizing what advantage are you getting from purchasing “match ready” brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, kujo929 said:

Just curious. You guys that buy match brass, are you roll sizing your range brass?

I was already roll sizing before I switched to open so have always roll sized it.

If you are roll sizing what advantage are you getting from purchasing “match ready” brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff i get is ready to go out of the box. Just load the case feeder up and go

On 2/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, Foxbat said:

The only issue I have seen with 9mm brass used many times over was primers falling out.  No big deal when happens in practice, a bit upsetting in a match, but might cost you a second or so, so I no longer use old brass in matches, only once fired, but that "buy new brass" story is a total hogwash.

This...

If any primer is missing when I'm sorting brass, that piece gets scrapped.  Also, loading on a 650 allows you to feel the primer seat.  If it feels like nothing was seated, as in the same feeling as no primer in station 2 from either forgetting to load primers or from a misfeed, That case gets pulled and scrapped.  

• 2 weeks later...