Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Crimp Die adjustment needed?

Waylonspapa

I load 9mm using my 550. I rarely get a perfect fit when I use a chamber gauge. I have a custom barrel in my G34 that I can't use because the rounds won't chamber/seat all the way. When I decap & resize, the brass drops perfectly into the chamber gauge. Since the bell of the brass is expanded by the powder funnel, and since I can see if the problem exists after seating the  bullet, I surmise the problem is with the crimp die. The reloaded rounds typically extrude at the base about 1/32" of an inch. They work fine in the factory barrel, but not the custom barrel. 

What do I need to do to get the reloads to work correctly?
Thanks!

Ken

Not necessarily the "crimp" - especially if they "work fine" in factory barrel.

Could be the bullets - are they lead or coated bullets ?    147 gr ?   They 

frequently cause these problems.

Can you post a photo of one of the rounds that won't chamber ?

If your rounds are bulging after you crimp them, then it's reasonable something is wrong with your crimping process.

First, are you using a taper crimp die, rather than a roll crimp? A roll crimp die will cause downward pressure, if there's no crimp groove on the bullet. And that will bulge out the bottom of the cartridge.

Are you over crimping, which will put downward pressure on your cartridge causing it to bulge at bottom? You only need to crimp enough to just eliminate the bell of the case mouth.

If using the correct crimp die, reduce the amount of crimp and see if the bulging disappears.

1) How did you determine what OAL would work in that custom barrel?

2) When crimping you should only take out the flare. The case mouth measurement after crimping should be somewhere between .377-.379.

3) Make sure the sizing die kisses the shellplate.

Edited by 4n2t0

Initially it sounds like it could be excessive crimp...but, need some more info:

Whats your COL?.

Bullet type (cast, plated, jacketed)?

Are you seating and crimping on the same die or a separate station for just crimping?

Depending on those answers here are the general possibilities that come to mind;

Too short of a COL could bulge cases. Ive encountered a lot of the newer 9mm brass that has quite a bit of inside taper that once the bullet heel get to it swells like hell. It is common on many guys reloads when they use the heavier bullets of 147 on up trying lo load on the short side.

When using the seating die to seat and crimp at once and your crimp is excessive the case will bite into the bullet while its still being pushed down and deform either the bullet (shaving and/or extruding a lead "ridge") if its cast or coated lead, or crush down the case from the transferred down force with jacketed. Either scenario can increase the loaded diameter.

Or it could be just grabbing one side and canting the bullet for a bulge.

With regards to a canted bullet, its also possible your seating die stem has an issue allowing the bullet to be seated on such a cant in itself. 

Inspect the condition of the case closely, not if the bulge is uniform all the way around or just prominent on one side. Depending on your bullet and setup check for what I mentioned above. 

3 hours ago, Waylonspapa said:

I have a custom barrel in my G34 that I can't use because the rounds won't chamber/seat all the way. 

Is it a Firedragon barrel?

If so my experience with them is they are extremely tight, cut right at or near specs and the rifling begins very early making it imperative to have very tapered RN bullet profiles and short OAL. 

Basically I could only load FMJ RN 115 grn .355 successfully for that barrel. Even after having the chamber and lands reamed a bit it just didn’t work well. 

What barrel

bullet

length

crimp measurement with a good set of calipers

then we can talk

need  info to diagnose your problem 

Are you sure the OAL is 1.55? 1.08-1.14 would be in the normal range for 9mm.

Crimp is also rather big for MG 124, or any 9mm bullet actually.

search this blog for “plunk test,” how to determine OAL, and crimping. 

If your numbers are close to correct I suspect the issue is length and crimp. 

Stormlake seems to have good reviews for Glocks. 

Current SAAMI specs:

OAL 1.00 - 1.169

Crimp .380

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/SAAMI-Z299.3-Centerfire-Pistol-Revolver-Approved-12-14-2015.pdf

Edited by HesedTech

1 hour ago, Waylonspapa said:

OAL is1.55"

Crimp is .385"

Bullet is MG 124 gr 

Barrel is Stormlake

good have same barrel and bullets

length    1.106        

crimp      .375

try that

(length is for the hp bullet)

Edited by AHI

1 hour ago, Waylonspapa said:

OAL is1.55" ---> Impossible.

Crimp is .385" ---> Out of spec, .380 max, try for .377-.379.

Bullet is MG 124 gr 

Barrel is Stormlake

Here's how to determine your OAL: LINK

Here's a plunk and spin video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyS9U90IcUc

P.S. Ignore AHI and ALWAYS find your own OAL. No disrespect meant AHI but tolerances vary and suggesting OAL's usually isn't very productive.

Edited by 4n2t0

3 hours ago, Waylonspapa said:

OAL is1.55"

Crimp is .385"

Bullet is MG 124 gr 

Barrel is Stormlake

his answer  so yes he did not say FMJ or HP      so gave lengths for both in a storm lake barrel.

have 3 of these these are good starting points.

he needs to do his own plunk test thow.

his crimp is way out of speck. 

Edited by AHI

Crimp for sure over-spec by .005, and probably more like .008/.009 over ideal.

OP, when you are talking about a cartridge not chambering completely, and that cartridge OAL is 1.155 -- the bullet type is highly relevant.