Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 Primers Falling out of Press

I've been having the dreaded primer issues with the 1050, but  I can't seem to find a reason for what is happening. It seems that once out of ever 15 or 20 rounds, the brass will fail to prime and the primer will fall out of the press onto the bench. I'm not having any issues with sideways primers or crushed primers at all. I've reached the end of my Google-fu. Has anyone experienced this before? The press has recently been taken apart and cleaned.

Edit: After trouble shooting a bit, the primer doesn't seem to come up with the priming system, and when I push the handle back, the primer pops out of the press. This is seeming to be a primer sled issue / primer tube tip problem?

Edited by touji

After pulling it apart again, yeah it's chewed it. It was chewed up near the portion where it hangs onto the primer tube. I've tried trimming out the parts that seem kind of "burred". I'm gonna give it a go for a little bit and if it's marginally any better than it was before, I'll be ordering a truck load of those blue thingamajigs.

Edit: After trimming burrs and what not, It's gotten a lot worse. This must be the culprit. Thanks!!

Edited by touji

A couple of possibilities: First, be sure the primer actuating assembly has not been pushed up the primer shield tube. If it is too high, it fails to move the primer slide fully rearward. WIth the handle in the down position, the bottom of the arm should only be .010-,.020" above dragging in the primer slide channel of the frame.  Next, be sure the primer slide stop is oriented with the flat portion either up or to the right. Otherwise the primer slide overtravels.

I just had this happen last night during a loading session. Didn’t notice till after 17 unprimed rounds made it into the tray. 

The primers were also dumping out the bottom of the press. It ended up being a buildup of grease and powder preventing the primers from dropping correctly out of the blue tip. 

Good reminder about watching the height of the primer arm and the correct orientation of the primer stop during reassembly. 

I’m thinking during the 10000 round cleaning, cleaning the primer tube as well as replacing the blue tip would be a good idea. Hopefully that will help keep primer issues to a minimum. 

Thanks for all the replies. I checked to make sure everything Dillon recommended. Interestingly enough, the issue goes away with a full primer tube until about 50 rounds. Then, within the last 50 rounds, I'll have about 4-5 failures. I'm wondering if I need to clean the primer tube itself (brand new tip) as it seems the extra weight of the primers helps alleviate the issues.

Just now, AHI said:

A 45 acp case fits perfectly  on the primer tube rod.

Yeah! I've been using the 45ACP case prior, and I've jammed in a 124gr blue bullet into the case before it went back on. It's a little wobbly, but it's adding more weight and the failure rate is going down.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - 

Following up on this as I think I've got it sorted out. The half moon primer sled stop had a bit of slop in the tightness of the screw as I've been messing with the press so much. As soon as I tightened it down all the way, the priming issues have disappeared completely. It seems like even having the screw backed out just a tad bit, it causes the primer sled to over travel flipping primers as they fall. Hope this helps someone in the future!