Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare parts on the range?

matir

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I didn't locate a thread.  Other than slide stops, which seem somewhat notorious for breaking, what spare parts should I consider having in my range bag?

Just now, aandabooks said:

Extra FO rods, trigger return springs, extra power extractor springs, extractor.  That should about keep you in a match.  

Good points all around.  I guess I'll need to bring a punch if I have to replace the TRS or the extractor.

Just now, aandabooks said:

Or, just bring a complete backup gun. 

Well, that will be something I negotiate at home at somepoint.  :)

i wouldn't reasonably expect a person to change a trigger return spring at a match or a range trip. Especially not with the stock trs pin.

Even if the fiber falls out you can still shoot, so I don't bother with it for range trips. To matches I travel yes, but not just the range.

Slide stop is truly the only thing you need to not waste $20 if you made a range trip that day. Anything else goes down on the gun and you should just go home.

1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

i wouldn't reasonably expect a person to change a trigger return spring at a match or a range trip. Especially not with the stock trs pin.

Even if the fiber falls out you can still shoot, so I don't bother with it for range trips. To matches I travel yes, but not just the range.

Slide stop is truly the only thing you need to not waste $20 if you made a range trip that day. Anything else goes down on the gun and you should just go home.

I'll bring a TRS anyway, because I have a spare, and the CGW floating trigger pin.  Just need to find a small compact punch to throw in the toolkit as well.  Maybe one of those Real Avid multitools...

Thanks for the input!

Honestly, how much time and effort would it take you to change a trigger return spring at the confines of a indoor range bay table or the safe area at your club? Just me, but not a job I want to be doing in those environments.

I keep a small sandwich bag with one of every part I routinely replace and/or check for wear in my shadows. This includes most of the springs in the gun as well as a spare firing pin, fiber rod, and extractor. It's overkill for most matches but my reasoning is that if I'm travelling for a multi day match then I don't have to think of anything else to pack with me. It's already in my range bag.  

I was actually at a match this past weekend where somebody broke an extractor on their CZ and was asking around for a spare. I wasn't even shooting a CZ that day but I still had my parts with me and had this guy covered. 

I wouldn't want to replace an extractor at a safe area. But if I'm at a club where I know the club house has tools or if I'm travelling at a multi day match, then I would rather replace the part on my primary gun than finish the match on my backup gun.

Match spares, season's wear replacement items are totally different things. I took the OP to mean just his regular weekly trip to the range. With that being how I read it, I still say nothing more than a slide stop.

Now a major, or something you've traveled to or what to change out in a year if you shoot 30k plus a year again are totally different lists. For 9 days of nats I took a complete spare gun, a spare upper and enough internals to replace the entirety of one gun. And all the tools I need to do that sitting at a hotel room table.

But your Wednesday after work trip to the indoor range, or your Saturday afternoon live fire session. Slide stop.

Just replaced a trigger return spring for a shooter at FL State in a safe table. No squad on our stage, knocked it out in 5-8 minutes with no slave pin. Saved a guys match, having the correct tools available helps. He still had the stock pin. Some items are doable the day of.

16 hours ago, RocketRyan said:

Just replaced a trigger return spring for a shooter at FL State in a safe table. No squad on our stage, knocked it out in 5-8 minutes with no slave pin. Saved a guys match, having the correct tools available helps. He still had the stock pin. Some items are doable the day of.

First off, I think whats great about this sport is competitors helping each other so a fellow competitor can continue to have a good day.

Secondly, I think if you have practice doing it, you can probably swap the TRS out in 15-20 minute stretch at a match. Just like a NASCAR pit crew, though you need practice to change that tire in 14 seconds. So, dont show up on race day and expect a 5 minute TRS replacement with no practice.

@rowdyb I 100% agree, to a normal range day, this guy is bringing a slide stop and thats it. I'll take my gun back home to a sturdy table, clean environment and all the tools I need to properly do the job with ease.

I agree with Rowdy.  While I do admit to carrying an extra slide stop, I'm a big fan of a complete backup gun.  You do not know what will break, and Murphy says it will be something you didn't bring a replacement for, or something that cannot be repaired on the spot.  I was required to use my backup gun at a Level III match once.  Because I had a backup that used the same ammo, the RM approved it and I was back with my squad way sooner than I would have been had I attempted a repair on the spot.

That being said, I'm transitioning to a 2011 9mm major gun and I don't have a spare built yet.  So I'll bring a complete trigger group/fire control kit, ambi safety, ejector and extractor, plus springs.  There will all be prefitted.  They will eventually go into the backup gun.  I'd rather do that than bring another Open gun that uses different mags and ammo.