Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 hour ago, Frankly said:

The sharpened tooth rims on some of these tactical flashlights must already be banned in the UK. I wonder if anyone has ever actually used one in anger effectively? (Other than shredding their pants.)

Or a tactical pen? John Wick only needed a pencil.

I avoid them, or at least the more aggressive ones-- had one that literally ate through the pockets of all my pants.

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thanks, Steve, that looks like a very nice light - only $57 and 3 hours of 600 Lumen power …   very nice.     :) 

FYI based off the preice they are selling for on Amazon the PD25 is less expensive.   For the same price. A PD32 is the exact same price with 900 lunens max.  Thus is with my discount code.  

On 1/15/2019 at 7:25 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

These are all 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound - anything lighter and smaller that works

in a social emergency ?

IMO you'll want a headlight for a social emergency. Something that uses standard batteries (unless you have a good solar charger). What I've found is that during emergencies (at least in CERT and SAR training/incidents) that most people don't practice any light discipline and they end up flashing all their neighbors with 500+ lumens and you end up seeing spots. I've been in a few night situations wishing I could ban all the lights and require people to use chem-lights only (speaking of chem-lights ... buy some of those also).

I really like these: http://www.zebralight.com - pick your common battery type (I use and older version like the H503 with AA batteries). You can start them dimmed and ramp up as needed. Not a tactical/weapon light. Also works great for picking up brass after the match ends also. The night-light on these runs for weeks and is very useful around camp, for sitting around waiting for order/assignments to come through, working the radio, or doing paperwork.

Fenix and Streamlight also both have good headlights. Between the two I've had better luck overall with Streamlight. 

After a Hurricane I want two flashlights. One on a pistol in a dedicated holster, and one hand held.

Pointing  a weapon at someone to see what is going on would not make me a popular neighbor.

1 hour ago, p7fl said:

Pointing  a weapon at someone would not make me a popular neighbor.

It would if they were INSIDE your home.     :)

Actually, in a hurricane, you need more than two - one is zero, two is one, etc.

Can't have too many flashlights     :) 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Can't have too many flashlights     :) 

Every June 1 I go thru the house and replace the batteries on all my lights.

I always feel like I am throwing good money away. Rifles, HGs, car, bedroom, it is endless 🙂

Edited by p7fl
edit

I'm a fan of Surefires - US made, bright, and they always work.
I often carry a P2X Fury, and keep a G2X in my car. Both are dual output, so they last a long time on the low setting(CR123a batteries), but can really put out the lumens when on high level. I would recommend either to anybody who was in the midsize light market.
The past several months, I've also been carrying a Streamlight Microstream, and it's pretty sweet too: $20, about the size of a tube of chapstick, runs off a single AAA, and has a reasonable level of output, especially for the size.
One of my coworkers has a Fenix that he's pretty fond of, the brand looks promising. (I only haven't bought one because they don't seem to be US made - might try an Elzetta before I go the Fenix route because of that)

• 2 months later...

I picked up one of the newer Chinese lights from Costco, the first time I tried it at night as a test it hurt my eyes going from pitch black to really bright, not reflecting just really bright, I figured that in an emergency i'd be fighting trying to see while blinding the bad guy. Someone suggested that I shoot the beam at the ceiling first that way my eyes have a moment to adjust as I scan the room before dropping the beam on the trouble spot, tried it that way again and found that it works a lot better for me, my eyes didn't hurt and I was able to drop the beam with no problem, now this was with a hand held light, never been a fan of weapon mounted light at home.

I know it was under $20, not sure of the lumens but it was really bright for its size (about 5" long) uses 3 AA batteries, I like my flashlights to use common batteries.

• 1 year later...

I recognize that this thread is old, but I wanted to chime in in favor of Fenix lights. I've been using Fenix lights for EDC for over a decade now and I've never had a problem with them. I have a PD35 TAC that has been my EDC for the last 3-4 years and it's fantastic. Prior to that, I was running a PD32.

One thing to remember with any of the lights is that battery choice is critical. I run 18650's in mine, specifically Samsung 30Q high drain batteries.

• 2 months later...

I fix 737's for a living, after 34 years of nights weekends and holidays a decent handheld flashlight is very important to me, I use to always recommend Streamlight anything, and still do, Fenix aren't bad either, but I have a few WowTac A1S handhelds and there matching headlamp, these things just work, I haven't broken one yet, and they are priced right on Amazon.

• 2 months later...