Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Sight Tracker front sight replacement

I was practicing with my SVI Sight Tracker today.  The front sight broke where the rear portion of the sight holds the fiber optic rod.  Is the island barrel different from a regular slide in that the front sight is made different for the two.  Since I have to replace the front sight, I would rather get one that is longer (has a longer fiber optic tube than the SVI).  I find that the SVI front fiber optic rod was OK when first installed but because it is so short, the rod gets dirty faster and it gets dimmer faster.  Would a Dawson work or maybe a Manny FireDot?DHXM6-CYz-TCm8-Il-FMNq0-H-w.jpg

Just tell Dawson it’s for a SV. They’ll send you the right one. I had one break same as yours and also felt that the sv sight got a lot dirtier than need be due to the design.  Biggest issue you’ll might run into is the base of the new  sight being fatter than the rub on your  barrel

I know @CrashDodson replaced all his sv sights with manny dots.  Maybe he’ll pop in and off guidance. 

Edited by tha1000

I read on the SV website, the width of the sight base is .420 to match the width of the hybrid barrel.  I suppose I could call Dawson and they could make me one, but I think I'll just order the exact replacement from SV.  I had a heck of a time removing the broken sight.  Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

I broke 2 sights, never really did like the SV sight. After the second one, I bought a Dawson. It was huge, had to file it down a lot to fit the dovetail. It might have been for the non sighttracker guns, Idk. I love Dawson sights but don’t want to have to take off .030” by hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get the one from SVI, it is the same width of the sight tracker barrel.  It took me about 30 min but I went slow.  I have installed 4-5 Dawson sights.  Just go to the Dawson website and watch his install video.  You need an non marring punch, small hammer, small triangle file, vise, vise blocks and I use tape to cover things I don't want scratched.  Go slow taking off material because you cant put it back on.  Oh and some red loctite.