Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington versamax tactical competition

3Dflyer

For a new 3 gunner, is the versamax competition a worthwhile investment in today's offerings of shotguns?  I know of one available locally but I don't see much discussion of them in the past few years when I perform searches for posts in various forums.  In my area, Remington seems to be looked down upon because of their customer service and lack of accuracy when shooting slugs.

I just bought one. Trying get started in this game too. After a bunch of research the reviews seemed just as mixed on the benelli and other options. I like the extra options the Versa Max includes in the box.

Haven't tried slugs yet but I've seen videos of guys making hitd from 40 to 100yd on steel consistently

There are good and bad sides of everything. Versamax will shoot a wider array of shells and is the softest shooting of all the major shotguns in use. I’ve never had an issue with slugs in my versamax. It is also very heavy and Remington’s quality control is horrible.Ive replaced most of my fire control parts with Benelli. I do not regret getting my versamax but I will not say it’s perfect. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Remington VersaMax Competition to try saving a few dollars thinking it would be 3-gun ready out of the box. I even had it worked on by one of the top companies, and I really regret the purchase.

The build quality is pretty poor, and not very accurate at all. I took off the trigger assembly to switch it with the A&S trigger guard, and the OEM was made of cheap metal with heavy burrs all over the place. I get constant light strikes, and unreliable feeding of a variety of shells. Even with the included mag extension, it still only gets you to 10 rounds, which means if you want to run in TacOps you'll end up buying another tube extension to get you to 12 rounds. The POI/POA is also really bad on mine, even with upgraded chokes from Briley. 

After running it in a major this past winter, I got so fed up I just ponied up for a Hayes Custom M2 that has the full package, including their new Dawson Precision sights. 

I always kick myself when I go against the adage "buy nice or buy twice", because it's definitely true when it comes to performance firearms. 

I have a VersaMax and I knew what I was getting when I bought it new. Out of the box, it was terrible, but I did luck out with one of their better barrels. Now, there’s not much Remington DNA left and I really do like it. I have a Roth/Benelli M2 that I use most of the time, but run the VersaMax in club level events. If you’re not prepared or capable of turning it into what it can be, get the Benelli or Breda.

MB

I tried a whole bunch of shotguns prior to buying one. Of all of them, the one I liked most was a 22" Versamax Camo turkey model with sights. Shot slugs great. Shot everything great actually. Softest of all the guns I tried. It had some work done to it, but not a lot. I know the owner and it has many thousands through it. Great gun.

I ended up going with a lighter gun and 26" barrel, and I am very happy (franchi affinity) but I still like the way the VM's shoot. This franchi feels more like a Benelli, which I have grown to like, but it's not as soft feeling.