Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked slide.

blacklab

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

Do you have any idea why they aren't making them any more? That is what I have on my current gun and I asked about getting another, and they told me not in production.

They are making them.  They just aren't available to consumers right now. 

Most will go to Honcho production. 

21 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I am not surprised that part of the slide cracked given how low the cuts are in that area. That portion is cracking because the firing pin stop gets beat around within its pocket by the extractor. Every shot that is fired the firing pin stop gets a tremendous amount of front to back and side to side movement bashed into it by the extractor. Can it run with that section cracked or completely broken off? Sure. But you might start having extraction or chambering issues because the extractor isn't being restrained properly anymore. Barring some serious welding and machining effort the most common fix for that issue is to replace the whole slide and ask them to not hog out the back of the slide so much. You need some meat back there for a reason. There are plenty of other places on the slide to take weight out of without circumventing the mechanical integrity of the slide.

Agreed. Especially if the FPS is fitted to loosely.

But I also have to say material quality is important as well. I've never taken that much out of a slide , but seeing some with the same crack and no extreme cuts, I have to say that's some cheap pot metal in those slides.  

As much as I didn't want to get  new slide, I guess its the right thing to do. One of the reasons I tore it apart was to thoroughly clean it and send it off to get refinished. Even though it sounds like it might still work if I'm putting out the money to make it look nice I'd hate to have the piece break off after its finished. 

Thanks for the input.

The way I see it, "Looking Nice" with special expensive coatings is a lost cause on heavily used competition guns. Stuff will break and in Open, cracked slides will happen. To me, competition guns are like Hammers. Tools to get the job done. A "good looking" hammer is still just a hammer in the long run.

1 minute ago, CHA-LEE said:

The way I see it, "Looking Nice" with special expensive coatings is a lost cause on heavily used competition guns. Stuff will break and in Open, cracked slides will happen. To me, competition guns are like Hammers. Tools to get the job done. A "good looking" hammer is still just a hammer in the long run.

Meh, to each their own. I like hard chrome personally. So easy to clean and looks great. I have thrown away hammers before. 😂

46 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I'm not saying I agree with you or not, but my slide finish is dykem.