Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA RO Elite Operator - USPSA Single Stack Legal?

Jetskidawg

I have one. It’s going to be hard to make weight with a magwell. 

You neee an aluminum guide rod and a plastic mainspring housing.

i ended up tri topping the slide to make weight easier. 

Its doable. Just realize you will have to change some parts.

31 minutes ago, mach1soldier said:

This.. Per SA's website it weight 41 oz from the factory (not sure if that is with a magazine inserted or not.). You would have to cut some weight to be able to add a magwell. Per Dawson's website the 1911 ICE magwell is 1.5 OZ with the mainspring housing. Plus you will have some sort of extended basepad on the magazine that adds a little weight. I'd say you need to shave ~4-5 Oz to be on the safe side.

I have a railed Taurus: Only the frame, slide, grip and thumb safeties, and slide stop remain.  Aluminum mainspring housing ICE magwell, G.I. length polymer guide rod, Dawson fixed sights, titanium fire control (yeah, I know you can't find them anymore, but other lightweight alternatives exist), plastic trigger.  Undercut the trigger guard and finished the checkering.  Shooting Star mags with the Shaw type plastic pads.  Comes in at 42.5 oz on the nose.  It is the stainless slide and frame, not sure if that makes a difference.  What DOES is the fact that the frame has the large cut-outs in the grip portion like the original Colts.  That meant I didn't need to lighten the slide...but I could have, with flat or tri topping.

If the SA has the same features, it should be doable.

Edited by gino_aki

Thanks all for the great replies.  I picked up a Sig 1911 in .40 and have the mags coming soon.  It'll then be time to get it on the scale and see how much of a diet it will need...  Thanks to you all I have a good plan where to start.

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 9:42 AM, mach1soldier said:

I know this topic is a bit old, but I'm looking at one of the Lipsey Custom Operators in 9mm and wanted to get some confirmation on this before I pick up the gun. I may or may not shoot it in USPSA, but I always like the option.

Edited by sstephns