Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HEEELP Please - remove handguard guidance

Guys,

i hope this is the right place to post.  I really need some guidance.  I am looking to remove the handguard in the picture.  It is a UTG quadrail.  I know how to take it off.  First, remove the four screws inside the barrel nut.  Second, twist off locking ring with strap wrench.  Three, take off barrel nut.  Well, ran into immediate problems on step one.  It appears the genius before me used red loctite or worse as the four screws wont budge.  Any ideas?  I have thought of heating with mini torch or heat gun.  I have also thought about turning the locking ring with strap wrench and see if that will turn the whole unit as one.  Finally, i thought about going to town with a dremel.  Please, any ideas or help is much appreciated.

IMG_0700.jpg

I don't think I would be hitting things with a hammer just yet. Locktite lets loose about the same temp so red or blue or green does not really matter. Get a screwdriver that fits tight in those slots and heat the screws with a soldering iron or a mini torch. You can try and pull it off In one piece but I doubt your strap wrench would do it without breaking.