Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

(NEW) Tanfoglio Gold Team in 9mm

phil plesetz

The consensus seems to be that the V12 Gold Team pistols commonly available in the US are not the best for 9 major because they have so many ports in the barrel that you have to shoot freakishly hot loads to even make major. There is a V8 version which has less popples, and is more available in Europe, but good luck finding one stateside. If you want a very similar gun that makes major easier in 9, you could consider either a CZ Czechmate or a Tanfoglio Elite Limited with a compensator, the latter being more of a commitment to build.

I'm sure @kneelingatlas would be able to tell you even more, that's kind of his domain.

30 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

Doesn't it come with two barrels - one with no ports?

9s come with the two barrels, 38s do not, reason being factory 38 super ammo will cycle the V12, but factory 9 will not; I'm sure if they sold a factory gun which would function without custom loaded ammo, they'd get some warranty complaints.

I believe the V8 Gold Team was the predecessor to the V12, it has a 1/4" longer slide, fewer holes and a three port comp.

You can certainly rebarrel the 38 to 9 with a new barrel and comp for ~$700 + mags.

My 38 super would not cycle factory ammo at all. Sent it to EAA, they worked on it, i tried several 38 super rounds but the only ones that worked were my reloads or Atlanta arms Major 38 super.  So does anyone know anything about the Extreme versions of the gun? is anything different with the barrel or comp?

Thanks,

21 minutes ago, phil plesetz said:

My 38 super would not cycle factory ammo at all. Sent it to EAA, they worked on it, i tried several 38 super rounds but the only ones that worked were my reloads or Atlanta arms Major 38 super.  So does anyone know anything about the Extreme versions of the gun? is anything different with the barrel or comp?

Thanks,

Did your 38 super come with two barrels?

Anyone ever use the single port barrel/comp and drill out the 4 holes + the end compensator slot - basically like the v12 but no 8 popple holes in the barrel

My 38 super came with both non ported and v12 barrel, it runs 9 minor and 9 major ammo out of both barrels. I have swapped 9 mm extractorfor reliability, but will not run factory super plus p brass reliably.  

I have currently fit the factory non ported barrel to my limited 40 with  9mm

extractor and it too runs like a top, 0 malfunctions in today’s match pushing it hard as I could .    I’m buying another because of how less costly they are compared to a 2011 or CZmate. 

1 hour ago, Fo0 said:

Did your 38 super come with two barrels?

Anyone ever use the single port barrel/comp and drill out the 4 holes + the end compensator slot - basically like the v12 but no 8 popple holes in the barrel

_20141101_225509_zpsmmdaqzdg.thumb.jpg.d348cabf3865dcfefe720b7021ba9e99.jpg

It's slightly better, but nothing like a good comp:

41817453_2235486296736618_7585764727024779264_n.thumb.jpg.07950153316578d631ac377702a1a277.jpg

I'm going to be getting a comp from "atlas" (above ) but for now I'm running what I consider a fairly normal 9mm major load in mine and making 170  PF.

6.8 WAC, at 1.150 with a 125 Bayou coated bullet.  Run the same in my Bedell custom 2011 at 173-4 PF no hole in the Bedell gun.

My GT will cycle nine minor ammo at 132 pf.  with a9 lbs Wolff spring

FWIW

Gun is very accurate with the load (1" groups rested at 25yds)

PITA is the ports on your optic.  Finally went with a DAA mount with a blast shield and that keeps it the cleanest

On 12/6/2018 at 6:49 PM, kneelingatlas said:

You can do it!

Maybe I'll make a photo tutorial

A tutorial would be great.  Do you chuck the barrel in a lathe to thread? Or do you do it by hand?

If you do it by hand do you use a thread alignment tool? I have not been able to find a thread alignment tool with the correct pitch.  

I probably need to practice a few more times before I am willing to give it a shot on my lathe since I don't want to trash my only extra 6 inch barrel.

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2018 at 9:34 PM, kneelingatlas said:

Yes, it's longer and it's not a direct replacement as the distance from the slide to the first port is shorter.

it would work with the barrel with no ports? Thanks

On 12/8/2018 at 9:04 AM, billthemarine2862 said:

A tutorial would be great.  Do you chuck the barrel in a lathe to thread? Or do you do it by hand?

If you do it by hand do you use a thread alignment tool? I have not been able to find a thread alignment tool with the correct pitch.  

I probably need to practice a few more times before I am willing to give it a shot on my lathe since I don't want to trash my only extra 6 inch barrel.

I thread by hand and I use electrical tape wrapped around the barrel to keep it centered in the die holder.  It actually works really well.