Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rangefinder Reviews

EricW

I'm looking for do-all rangefinder to use for bowhunting to prairie dogs to elk hunting. I'd like one that's waterproof and that can range to *practical* distances with a 308. Basically, I want one that ranges from 10 to 600/800 yards.

I've read wildly varying reviews on rangefinders. Bushnells and Nikons either have very spotty QC or users with wildly varying IQ's. (you decide) I thought that the Leicas were supposed to be outstanding, but there's guys carping that those won't range dark targets at any distance.

The one rangefinder that is really bulletproof is the Swarovski, but I really don't feel like plunking down $850 for one. I'm to the point now where I'm so confused I don't know what to do, so I'm not doing anything. I hate having to guess whether what I'm buying will do the job and whether I'm going to get stuck with a $300 box of crap, so I'm leaning toward the Leicas. At least it would be saleable if I don't like it. Leica does have a good warranty and good service. I will miss that $600 out of my checking account...

What can people tell me? I can't believe how difficult it is to get objective information about these things.

Thanks!

I bought the Leica Eric. Thought that the optics were much better than the bushnell product. Ranging to a grass field can be difficult, but the range finder does do everything that I need in a piece of equipment. Bowhunting to varmints, I like mine.

Rick

Eric, I bought one of the first Bushnell 800 yd. models and it has served me well. The optics aren't the same as the Leica and it will not reach out to 1200 yds. I've had good luck on IPSC size targets out to 700, on bright days maybe only 500. The 1st. generation Leica's didn't have the scan mode so the aiming dot disappeared when you ranged something which made it hard to tell if you were actually rangeing what you intended to range.

Among my shooting buddies I think we have about every kind made, from $2500 models to the $100 models. As you say there is operator error and conditions vary as do the results. I'm going for the new 1200 yd. Nikon simply because of price and perceived quality. Another option is the Leupold wind river RB 800 they perform very well and are great binoculars as well, although a bit on the heavy side. You can't go wrong with the new Leica if you don't mind spending the bucks. Good luck and let us know what you get and what you think of them. Keith

Eric:

I tried to range to a dark brown naugahide chair that I use from my portable bench today with a Leica 1200 LRF. Holy crap, was I shocked. You guessed it, not enough reflection to range. Thank goodness I rarely hunt those elusive naugas.

I have used and/or field tested the Leica 800, 900 and 1200. I have also used several Bushnell range finders, the new Swarovski monocular/range finder, and a couple of Nikons. The new Nikon 800 was a disappointment but the 1200 is supposed to be a lot better. The Swarovski kicks ass, but it is no comparison to the newest Geovid if you have a couple of grand burning a hole in your pocket.

FWIW, I settled on the Leica. Mine is the 900 but I wish I had the 1200. If you get a Leica and it doesn't perform as advertised, they won't fix it. They will send you a brand new one so there is virtually no turn around time other than shipping. Arpound here, the Leicas are the choice of varmint hunters. Just don't try to range a dark chair (or a black cow). :lol:

Tried several and the best of the bunch under a grand is by far the Leica 1200 scan, picked one up on ebay for under $500.

PS if you go over to snipershide you will find some great reviews with pics.

Anyone have anything good to say about the cheap ones?  Or are they just too bad to even bother.

From what I can tell the major problem is ending up with $200 of nothin'. By the time you buy another $200 replacement, you might as well have sprung for the Leicas. That said, I still may be too scottish to pull the trigger on a $600 gizmo that I'll use so infrequently.

Just get a new Geovid and be done.  Great binoculars and rangefinders at the same time.

Just cry once I like to say.

Tom,

Thank you, but no thank you. I have a 2 lb pair of binoculars. All it took was one, big elk hunt with those stupid things banging around and I went for a set of compacts like everyone else had. I'm not even sure where those goofy 7x50's are anymore. :blink::huh::wacko:

The Leica BRF 1300 binos work better at ranging at ranging non-reflective targets (grass) in bright sunlight than the Leica 1200 Scan, but the 1200 is much more compact and a lot lighter, I think you'll be happy with it. Someday, when I hit the lottery, I'd like to get a Vector non-eye-safe laser range finder, and sunlight be damned.

FWIW I have the Leica 800, 1200 and the 1300 binos in the quest for a rangefinder that would keep me from using the Mil-dot Master, no experience with the other brands.

Eric:

The new generation of Leica rangefinder/binoculars are a lot lighter and more compact than the older versions. But alas, as Tom pointed out, you will cry, lol.

I spent most of the day in 85-90 degree bright sunshine blasting at prairie dogs. FWIW, there was absolutley no difference between the 900 Leica (scan) and the 1200 (scan) when ranging dog mounds, and the occasional antelope that wandered by. When it clouded up this afternoon, the 1200 beat the 900 by a substantial margin on highly reflective targets, but there was not a whole lot of difference on maximum range to an antelope.

Erik,

Come by the shop and I'll get my Swarovski out of the drag bag and let you use it. It is on a planet all by itself in the world of range finders. Yes, the price is hard to swallow but having had one now I would pay more if I had to to get the performance it provides. It will day in and day out range over 1500 in crappy conditions and over 2k in good conditions.

• 2 months later...

It's all different after about 300 yards. Not even the Leica 1200 would range consistently outside of 300 to 400 yards. Swarovski: ranged 1900+ yards through a VERY cluttered foreground. I figure if I'm not going to do it right, there's no point even doing it at all.

• 2 months later...

Shawn what model is your Swarovski range finder? I looked up and could only find the 8x30 model which has a max range of 1500yds/1400meters. You are ranging at 2000 yds? Do you have a different model? How much did you pay for that one?

I have a Burris 1500, it is a good range finder and binos. It says it can range up to 1500yds but the max distance I could measure was 1020yds on a tripod. So I am looking for a better quality one that can measure further distances.

Thanks

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Windriver rb800 (LEUPOLD) it ranges to 600 plus on dark colors, trees and animals ... and up to a 1000 yards plus on reflective targets and some metal targets ... my pair has good optics and with no noticeable distortion. They are definitely worth a try!

Does anyone have an opinion of the Leupold RX-III ? I wondered how effective the inclimeter, and built in TBR software was for speeding up target ranging.

Edited by ap3

• 1 month later...

Leupold RX-IV,

Anyone have some experience. The range finder, ballistic adjustment by MOA and the adjustment for shooting angle seem like a all in one piece of equipment that does cosign angle indication, distance and MOA adjustment all in one. This could be the answer to a Kestrel, PDA, laser range finder and Exbal/Horus.

Will

Shawn what model is your Swarovski range finder? I looked up and could only find the 8x30 model which has a max range of 1500yds/1400meters. You are ranging at 2000 yds? Do you have a different model? How much did you pay for that one?

I'm not Shawn, but...

Swaro is the only one in the industry that lists a *nominal* value as a performance standard rather than the absolute max the unit can register. So, you get to *expect* 1500 yards in varying conditions, but it will do better than nominal in ideal conditions. My unit was $800 + tax.

• 2 weeks later...