Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Dispose Of Unwanted Powder?

davidwiz

Any law enforcement agency should have access to something similar to destroy ammo seized for whatever reason.

My wife had some overweight ammo she was bringing to me confiscated at a major airport here in CA. It took a few phone calls and a letter to get it back. The first few calls were to try to locate my stuff, which they couldn't find. One honest official said something like, "Well, sir, chances are the airport police have your ammunition, and there's a good chance they used it for practice". The letter I sent basically said my custom ammo might blow up in their guns. The last phone call was to tell me that they found my ammo and could have it back.

I don't know how common it is to "dispose" of ammo this way. :unsure:

Any law enforcement agency should have access to something similar to destroy ammo seized for whatever reason.

My wife had some overweight ammo she was bringing to me confiscated at a major airport here in CA. It took a few phone calls and a letter to get it back. The first few calls were to try to locate my stuff, which they couldn't find. One honest official said something like, "Well, sir, chances are the airport police have your ammunition, and there's a good chance they used it for practice". The letter I sent basically said my custom ammo might blow up in their guns. The last phone call was to tell me that they found my ammo and could have it back.

I don't know how common it is to "dispose" of ammo this way. :unsure:

That's why we use the burn trailer. You never know what someone else has loaded.

Here's a slight modification to the "burn it in a can" technique. But it is a tad more dangerous... so you didn't hear about it on BE.com.

Find a small paper bag, approx. 4-6" x 8-10" and about 12" deep, and fill it up with loosely crumpled newspaper. Then carefully sprinkle about a pound of fast burning powder into it, taking care not to shake it up too much so the powder is as evenly distributed throughout the bag and newspaper as possilbe. At this point you might want to put on some sun glasses, or a welding mask preferably. Then, with your friends arranged in a generous circle around the bag of powder - suitably outfitted with glasses/masks and/or fire-proof clothing - slowly lower about a 10 foot long match down to the bag of powder. (I used an 8-foot 2x4.) And oh yea, you'll probably be seeing a huge white ball of flame, burned into your retina, for the rest of the evening. Fun stuff.

be

Yup, that's pretty much what it looks like. :) We've burned a fair amount of it in this way. The slower powders aren't as impressive as the fast burning stuff like Red Dot, Titegroup, Bullseye, etc.

My wife likes making the classic "powder trail" like you've seen in movies and cartoons.

Vince

• 2 months later...

I understand Alliant (formerly Hercules) has a sample of the original Bullseye powder (and Unique) at the factory. It is stored under water. They periodically test a sample - especially when they are making a new manufacturing run of the powder, to compare the burn rate of the new with the original batch.

Guy