Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Razorcat VS Atlas Chaos

Slide4949

8 minutes ago, Slide4949 said:

first I talking about a 38 super. Dot movement , is it minimal

?

So the one I am using is in 38 Super Comp and I am using a slow powder, so the dot movement is pretty minimal, but there will always be movement in these guns. I think people walking into an Open build, me included, were surprised that there was such force involved and all of the normal handgun mechanics come into play. But yes, the dot movement is minimal, enough to keep it inside the sight window of the Delta Point Pro... so long as I hold the gun tight enough. 

I just cannot say enough about how well the Lim's are regarded in the shooting community. Johnnie builds absolutely beautiful pistols that shoot well and he is quick to get things fixed if there are any mistakes, which is rare. 

Good choice on the 38 Super. That will save you a bunch of headaches and a reduction in recoil, this based on my own testing between two extremely similar Limcat Razorcats as well as discussions with some very experienced shooters. 

I run the Chaos in 38 SC and it runs super flat for me. I am using 3n38 under a 124 gn Precision Delta JHP. I have not run a Limcat, but one of the guys at my club shoots one. His is 9mm. I have shot both 9mm major and 38SC. I felt, for me, that the 38SC was a softer shooting gun. I also don't shoot more than once a month so I am running new or once fired brass. Honestly I don't think you could go wrong with either one, as both are great guns. I will recommend the Atlas because that's what I know and the customer service I have gotten from the Atlas crew is fantastic. 

I think they are both probably great guns. I know several guys running Atlas guns with good results, I know a couple with Lim's. Your best bet is probably to talk to them and see who you like dealing with more. Or just pick the one you like the looks of better.  The gun isn't going to make much difference in your shooting but it's a lot of money. Pick the one you like, you're the one who has to shoot it.

I played around with a few open guns before getting a Chaos.  After one range day, I posted my others for sale and bought a second Chaos.  It's on the heavy side, but once I got used to that, it shoots so much smoother and flatter than anything else I've shot.  I've never shot a Limcat or an Akai so those might be just as good, but if I don't win a match, it definitely won't be because I was shooting a Chaos.  

Call each of the companies and discuss what you want in YOUR gun. Then make a decision based on your own conclusions because you can not go wrong with either of these builders. I own an Atlas and absolutely love it but I would not say buy one over the other as it all comes down to personal preference.

When you get to this level of open guns it is safe to say they are going to preform very well. Honestly I think the biggest difference to expect is how they look. With steel grips they will both be heavy and shoot the right ammo flat. Not sure I buy into 38SC shooting softer but I have never owned a SC gun either. I think the biggest advantage to 38SC is extra case capacity for vihtovuori powders especially if you have a shorty or mid length gun where a 9mm case runs out of volume.

3 hours ago, Slide4949 said:

nevadazielmeister, why do you like the razorcat above the other models ?

Well, not having shot the Atlas, I cannot comment on its performance in the field. I can say this, the Limcat Razorcat is 1 year out while the Atlas has a quicker turn around time. Maybe someone who purchased an Atlas recently can comment? However, this comes at a price. The Atlas, with the same features, costs more. 

I know from direct experience at the Limcat shop, they hand mill and hand assemble each and every firearm. Each one has its own character and no two Limcats look alike. Many of the parts are designed and built by Johnnie and Julian. They have 2 HAAS CNC machines making a lot of their own parts. I just feel that the Limcat is more custom.  

3 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Well, not having shot the Atlas, I cannot comment on its performance in the field. I can say this, the Limcat Razorcat is 1 year out while the Atlas has a quicker turn around time. Maybe someone who purchased an Atlas recently can comment? However, this comes at a price. The Atlas, with the same features, costs more. 

I know from direct experience at the Limcat shop, they hand mill and hand assemble each and every firearm. Each one has its own character and no two Limcats look alike. Many of the parts are designed and built by Johnnie and Julian. They have 2 HAAS CNC machines making a lot of their own parts. I just feel that the Limcat is more custom.  

My Atlas from first payment to receiving it was 110 days. 

Thanks for all your comments and helpful replies. A decision has been made, drum roll please, ALTAS CHAOS. It was a hard decision because both Limcat and Altas were very nice and friendly and both have a great product but Altas gunwork seemed more in tuned to my needs. 3 month wait was better than 6.

1 hour ago, Slide4949 said:

I do have another question, he said they usually put 3 holes in barrel but I might think about just 2. Any thought on that, what the difference would be.

I didn't get the chance to shoot my son's new Chaos yesterday but tomorrow we plan on it and I'll look to see if it came with 2 or 3 holes.

I think the chaos 9 major has two holes and the new 38sc have the 3 holes. I have a older Chaos 38sc got it in February 2018 and it has 2 holes and it's just fine. I though about have the other hole put in but the gun works and shoots flat, with very little dot movement. I shoot with a guy that has 4  3/16 holes in mid size slide and his load is a lot hotter to make major and his gun is much louder then mine. 

Edited by Steelix