Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what video equipment? Aimcam2?

ncrivello

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but what video stuff are y guys using now?  I've seen quite a few different setups at matches, but what's a user friendly option that is actually valuable as a training tool? 

Lots Go-pros setups and so forth out there but I'm specifically looking at the latest AimCam2:

https://www.aimcam.com/products/aimcam-pro-2-black

Spoke to a fellow shooter with one at the last match and he seemed to like it.  It's currently on special so I'm thinking of giving it a shot... 

What is the purpose of the footage? If the footage is for showing off to your friends then first person is the most popular. If the footage is going to be used to assess your skills then you are better served with 3rd person footage.

I bought AimCam Pro 2 last week without much expectations. I wanted to review what I see, show my coach what I see, analyze transitions and red dot stability after transition. Have some fun with friends at competition. Overly satisfied with the purchase.

Pros:
- Can be adjusted to record the dot in the glass, exactly as I wanted.
- WiFi range is good for such a small device.
- Easy to use. Controls are good, SD Card is easy to remove and insert without taking glasses off.
- Play and edit MOV files on Mac without extra steps with QuickTime.
- The lenses are good. Haven't noticed any degradation compared to Rudy Project.
- Movie field of view is realistic but see below.

- Sound is good.

Cons:
- Rather bulky, interfere with ear protection (MSA). I use double plugging and it's ok. Would be uncomfortable to wear for the whole day.
- Mobile app is crap: Android app doesn't work at all on my phone (Nexus 5X, Android 8.1.0), iOS app is phone sized, doesn't scale to full screen on iPad.
- Video quality in 720p 60fps is mediocre. I haven't tried 1080p (30fps only).

Red dot brightness is better be adjusted up more than it is really required or it will wash out on video.
Vertical field of view is somewhat limited - I need to think about looking directly on the timer to record the display.

Edited by arkadi

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

What is the purpose of the footage? If the footage is for showing off to your friends then first person is the most popular. If the footage is going to be used to assess your skills then you are better served with 3rd person footage.

Primary purpose is for training and reviewing stages as I seem to quickly forget many things about stages.  

What about video setups in general; what's cost effective and easy to use?  I like what Rez805 did here, superimposing 1st person POV with 3rd person POV...

Any smart phone today can take really good 3rd person video. No need to get anything special beyond what is already in your pocket.

First person footage is useless for self assessment training analysis. You shouldn't need first person video of the run to "remember" the stage because you were there and shot it. If you can't remember a few stages from first hand experience then videoing your runs shouldn't be on the top of your priority list.

9 hours ago, shakin_bakin said:

I've wondered about the use of these sunglasses myself. Part of me is like get them and try them, the other part is like is it worth the money or is third person better or worse? Sheshhh I dont even know.

I'm going to start with the 3rd person POV, then add the 1st POV down the line if it turns out to be helpful.  I like what Rez805 did by embedding the 1st POV within the larger video.  

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 6:15 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Agreed...i have pivothead video shooting glasses. It interesting from that point of view but for learning 3rd person is the way to go so you can see movement, etc.  

i bought a Mobius something or other off amazon for $69 i think so that i'd have some footage to show others from my first major travel match, the quality is pretty good and it's light enough that it stayed put velcro'd on my hat brim. 

that said for self diagnostics it shows some things like where i'm pointing my head and when vs actually moving, maybe why i miss a target due to hard lean or some range prop, a little closer perspective to malfuction clearing, and it does indeed look great showing others. but it's very lacking showing real movement issues, footwork, etc. compared to well recorded 3rd person.