Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

College Football Season's Arrival

Middle Man

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thanks to the humbugging of the Arkansas AD, I'll have to go back to the old days of football via radio only for this week's Auburn game. Just because the Hogs have been BBQ'd all season and Fayetteville isn't sold out is no reason to withhold pay per view from those of us that would rather skip a 13 hour car ride.

October 15, 2005

South Bend, Indiana

Notre Dame Stadium

The Golden Dome

Touchdown Jesus

Head Coach Charlie Weiss rebuilding a historic program

#9 Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Overgrown grass field...

and the kicker...

A Green Jersey Game!!!

I got out of our Brigade ball at 2030. Got out of my dress blues and was packed at 2100. Got into the cab at 2110. Boarded the bus back to Camp Humphreys at 2130. Got home at 2345. ESPN College Gameday was already on and so there was no point in sleeping.

- Kickoff = 0430

- Halftime = Notre Dame - 21; USC - 14

- 0:07 4th Quarter = Notre Dame - 31; USC 28

- 0:03 4th Quarter..........

USC 34; Notre Dame 31.

I am physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted. By far, one of the great games in college football, but one of THE greatest games in USC Football history.

Fight on!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Edited by uscbigdawg

...and FSU's luck runs out. :( They fall from the ranks of the unbeaten. I guess it's really not better to be lucky than good. They really stunk up the place last night. 3rd and long meant nothing to Virginia. If we got any pressure at all on their QB, he just scrambled for a minute and chucked one 20 yards or so for a 1st--over and over again. We couldn't stop him.

...and FSU's luck runs out. :( They fall from the ranks of the unbeaten. I guess it's really not better to be lucky than good. They really stunk up the place last night. 3rd and long meant nothing to Virginia. If we got any pressure at all on their QB, he just scrambled for a minute and chucked one 20 yards or so for a 1st--over and over again. We couldn't stop him.

Florida State is trying to prove the old saying, "It's better to be lucky than good." How long can their luck hold out?

Virginia?

How did I make that call almost two months ago? Now where's that lotto ticket...

• 1 month later...

Two more games. Pucker factor is at about 12 right now.

Texas is looking great, 'SC is finally playing half way respectable, but keep getting defensive players injured. I think that we have only 3 starters from Spring ball playing now and less than from when the season started. If we could get these last two games done and then get some key personnel back before the bowl season, and again we win out (although it's very possible we won't) the Rose Bowl will be an awesome game!

For me and fellow hardcore Trojan alums, we were predicting anywhere from 2-4 losses this year, even before the first kickoff, and a birth in MAYBE the Fiesta Bowl. So, this season is already a great year. All we need to do is beat the demon seed, UCLA and it'll be perfect. I don't even care about the National Championship. The BCS is crap anyways.

Fight on!

Camp Humphreys, ROK

TN sucks this year :Randy Sanders has resigned as OC like a putz,he could not take the heat for the rest of the season.Fulmer needs to run Pat Washington(recievers coach) and Billy Ray Stephens(O Line coach) asses off and if there is no improvment next year then Fat Phil's Big Orange Pumpkin ass needs to go too.We lost to Aladamnbama and that is unforgivable :angry:

Edited by et45

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, pffft, Trojans, wait til ya'all play a real team like the Longhorns.

Yeah...I think that's what they were saying in Norman, Oklahoma last year too.

:P

On a serious note, the die hard alums (like myself) were all predicting 2-3 losses this year. So, we're already with the wins that we have and mostly maintaining our streaks against the evil duo of Notre Dame and FUCLA. So all is well regardless of what happens in Pasadena. It will be a great game though.

I think Oregon is getting screwed by $$$ out of the at large bid as you have Notre Dame and Ohio State with two losses and Oregon with only one (to the # 1 team in the country). Doesn't make sense, but then neither does the BCS and why we don't have a playoff system.

Anyways, I'm cracking a beer tonight to toast a great college football season, hoping that Reggie Bush wins us our 7th Heisman trophy and that everyone does well in the Bowl season.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

I'm happy that WVU is going to a BCS bowl. The Big East sure took a major hit with Miami, BC, and VaTech all going to the ACC. I've watched USC play all year, wow, that is one good football team, the Rose Bowl should be a heck of a game. The Ducks are getting the shaft, I'm sure that will dominate all the talk around my neck of the woods for a while.

I would rather have seen Penn State v. Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl. Like the talking heads on ESPN said, Oregon deserves a BCS bid, but deserve has nothing to do with it. Stupid Notre Dame. :angry:

Bowls are all about the money they generate for the committees, stadiums, and cities where they are played. Oregon may have deserved a Fiesta bid for what they did on the field, but Notre Dame got it because they will put people in seats, increase TV ratings/revenue, and add a great deal more merchandise sales. I know this is all old hat by now but can't we see playoffs, please...?

• 5 weeks later...

Wow!!!! What a game!!!! That was awesome. Should we have expected anything less? Definitely not. It was a true match of the two best teams in the country. The two best coaching staffs in the country. And....the best team in the country (USC) against the best player with 10 guys standing around him (UT-Austin) :lol: .

Seriously though. Vince showed that last year against Michigan wasn't a fluke and showed nothing but patience and leadership on the field. Very well done. For Mack Brown, the monkey is off his back...finally!

For USC, the end of a great season. Again, we never expected much more than a good bowl bid and MAYBE the Fiesta Bowl. But WOW!!! Our university's 7th Heisman trophy. We got to see a great player, senior athlete and leader Matt Leinart put a great closing chapter to a solid career. And, Coach Carroll showed to the doubters that he can run a consistently well performing program. With Leinart leaving, probably Bush and White leaving, next year is open for a lot of opportunities. Over half of the starting defense during Spring ball was injured the entire year. Their replacements were injured during the year. We have the top 2 quarterbacks in the country in their respective recruiting classes behind Matt, with both open to start next year. We have a VERY deep backfield and the receiving corps is still the best in the nation. So the hopes are very high for next year!

Well done Longhorns on a great season and to everyone a big applause to a great SEASON of football.

Camp Humphreys, ROK