Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Real Holsters In Limited - Who Uses Them?

dirtypool40

Yong Lee a GM out of Washington uses a Blade Tech with a modified belt drop. I'm using a Blade Tech DOH for my Glock 17 in Production. I'm really looking forward to trying they're new Drop Offset that they had at Nationals but I'm waiting till I get back from Ecuador.

I use Kydex over race because I have more confidence in it's ability to hold the gun without gadgets, levers, knobs or doo hickeys to flip before unholstering the gun. I get a more consistent draw with Kydex than I did with my Limcat. With the Limcat every now and then the gun would hang up.

I don't think there's any speed difference, for me, using Kydex. I was doing .75 draws with my Production rig this week. I never did that with my race rig.

DAve's got a point. I am at a reverse evolution in shopping; I like my DOH so much I have to find some race rig that will be similar if I get another Open gun.

Thanks for the poll flex.

Anybody got contact info on Yong Lee? He was one of the ones I was thinking of, I've seen him shoot....oof. :huh:

I agree with Chuck, I can get a more consistent draw out of kydex than most race holsters. Ive also had a few hangups with the Limcat when I owned one. The CR Speed is the most consistent race rig Ive had, but I still like the security of kydex and dont feel I really sacrifice much of anything.

No problem, DP. I wonder if I didn't word it poorly...to show bias? It is showing 85% that like the non-race for Limited. But, I don't know if that reflects the reality that we see at the range?

Maybe we all just like to buy cool stuff?

Some of the things that pushed me to try it....

Seeing a buddy's S_I go ass over tea kettle out of a locked CR in a 3-gun match. I was running him, and once I realized I was still alive, I looked at the lock position of the holster.

Shooting here in Santa Cruz, and having so much fine dust blow around that my Ghost (Older pin style) would not, repeat NOT release the gun at the beep. I almost ripped the trigger guard off the gun trying to draw.

Being afraid to pick up brass or move at faster than a walk with a race rig for fear of a dumped gun.

Seeing TGO and TJ hot draws in the .60's from leather and kydex.

Cool factor, of everyone else going "what the !@#$@ is that crazy gringo doing now?"

For whatever reason Kyle, I agree that the poll doesn't match reality.

-90+% of M/GM's use a race holster of some sort.

-I think Dave S has recently changed the way we think about this subject

-There's a certain "cool-factor" to think that you're good enough to NOT use a race holster.

-Most people, if confronted with a choice before a big match, will opt for the race holster I'd bet.

No problem, DP. I wonder if I didn't word it poorly...to show bias? It is showing 85% that like the non-race for Limited. But, I don't know if that reflects the reality that we see at the range?

Maybe we all just like to buy cool stuff?

Yeah, the wording is key - I'm "perfectly fine" with a Kydex, I know that I'm not losing much, if any.... given that as my only option I'd be ok.

But in reality, at a big match, I'm using my Ghost - maybe its mental, percieved advantage, whatever, but my mind seems to think "faster" = Ghost, and I need every advantage I can get.

As I use the Ghost for my Open gun as well, it makes the transition easier between platforms also.

But if my Bladetech DOH was my only holster for Lim, that would be ok to. ;)

See I'm the opposite, and would hate to leave a big match early for bumping a gun out of a race rig. Same with seated starts and other "shooter traps".

I shot a couple classifier stages with my open gun this weekend out of a borrowed CR speed. On Raw Deal I was terrified of dumping that gun.

All that being said, I think the older pin style ghosts are pretty good, offering a fast draw even locked.

I'm still cleaner and faster out of kydex.

What holster did Sevigny use in L10?

From the videos posted, it looks like DS used his Production holster for L10.

----------

I know we have talked about this in the past. I recall Bonedaddy and I thinking that a Production type holster, with it added security/comfort, might just be better than the race rigs.

I had some video (shred, might have been your video from our squad at the Nationals in 2004?) where we started kneeling, hands on a car tire. You need to spring to your feet at the buzzer to get to some targets thru the car window. I was using an unlocked Hogue Power Speed (magnets hold the gun..sorta). On the video, you can see that I take the time to grab the gun then start moving. I noticed something similar with another shooter on that stage, who uses a much more secure CR Speed.

For stand and deliver, I like the race rig. In USPSA/IPSC, we don't seem to get many draws from flat footed. Seems like starts favor movement. I don't think the Production style holster are losing anything under those circumstances.

Since I shoot mostly production and really favor consistency, I'll continue my occasional forays into Limited or L10 using the same kydex holsters......

And if I get around to finishing my open gun with a Doctor sight ---- maybe for open too......

Some of the things that  pushed me to try it....

Seeing a buddy's S_I go ass over tea kettle out of a locked CR in a 3-gun match... 

Was it broken, or equipped with an Arredondo trigger lever? I can't see any other way that could happen.

(FWIW, I shoot a race holster because I love gadgets.)