Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much titegroup is to much

Jess409

I am new to the forum. I’ve been reloading for around 5 years. I’ve been shooting USPSA for about 8 months (limited major).Reloading on a Dillon xl650. So I am struggling to make major pf with my loads. I just reached 171 pf with 5.1gr titegroup. Looking on this forum and others, I’ve noticed my load of titegroup is .3 to .5 gr above most other shooters in the sport with the same gun platform as me (STI 5” kkm bull). My exact load is 5.1gr, Berry’s 180gr FP .401”, mixed brass, WSP primers, oacl 1.185”, gun STI EDGE Benny hill custom with a 5” KKM Bull barrel. I haven’t shot a match with it yet, I have only chronod 21 rounds. I am not showing any pressure signs in any of the primers but am nervous I’m pushing it with the TG. What do you guys think? I just don’t want to be picking up parts of my gun one day.

And if anyone else wants to chime in about the load I’m using and your opinion about it, please do. The more info I get from shooters with close to identical loads the more comfortable I will feel with it. Thank you. (Not sure why I waited so long to register on this forum)??

Awesome, thank you for the reply. I really like the way it feels it just made me a tad nervous when I couldn’t find any other loads as high as mine. 
no problem bud. the factory load on hodgdon site is 1.125 we're loading closer to 10mm lengths so the longer COL compensates for the higher power charge. If you can get that same charge out 1.200 you may feel lesser snap while maintaining 165-166pf for your local matches

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I stopped using TG in .40. It burns way too hot and it's way too snappy for follow up shots. It works much better in 9mm. A slower burning powder like WSF or WST makes the .40 a dream to shoot and it's more accurate on follow up shots.

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, RiggerJJ said:

All your questions about recipes with Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders can be answered at hodgdonreloading.com

and use a crono!

There recommendationss don’t make major with the Dillon calculator. The 200 gr 40 S&w with 3.8 grains of titegroup ( there max load ) is a 164 . It is a starting point though Get out a chron and check your loads  good luck 

24 minutes ago, Corrado_kid said:

Interesting I’m running 4.3gn (heavy 4.3 almost 4.4) of titegroup with 180gn blue bullets and make 171pf 1.165 oal 

He’s loading considerably longer with a slower plated bullet, and there’s a lot of variations when it comes to barrel speed, too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

24 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

He’s loading considerably longer with a slower plated bullet, and there’s a lot of variations when it comes to barrel speed, too.

Gotcha, it runs about the same out of my cz tso and atlas titan.