Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo 9mm major open gun questions

MacLethal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a big fan of the V12 design, too many holes, too small a comp, so using elements from my two favorite 2011 comps (by Eric Davis and Jared Drinkwater) I developed a replacement: four ports in the comp, no holes in the barrel.  It shoots flatter, softer and requires less powder to make major widening powder and bullet options.

I'm using it with a Limited slide and short dust cover frame, but it's designed to drop into a Gold Team using the spare, un-ported barrel.

IMG_20180906_234333.thumb.jpg.f1bf73f5c3c91ab2df9fde22e23e6419.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

I run 38sc. 124 jhp 10.2gr 3n38 federal primers 182pf v12 barrel flat

Reliability is subjective. I bought a used gun with no prior knowledge that the gun had issues and owner F”d internals up. I have had my share of problems feeding extraction etc.  sent gun off to PAtriot defense and Joe handled the demon gun like a champ. 

For price point, availability, knowledge amongst Tangfo owners, I haven’t went away from this platform, I’ve delt with troubles as they come , any open gun will have hiccups, hell at Oregon state I seen every builders platform go down. 

I've never been a big fan of the V12 design, too many holes, too small a comp, so using elements from my two favorite 2011 comps (by Eric Davis and Jared Drinkwater) I developed a replacement: four ports in the comp, no holes in the barrel.  It shoots flatter, softer and requires less powder to make major widening powder and bullet options.

I'm using it with a Limited slide and short dust cover frame, but it's designed to drop into a Gold Team using the spare, un-ported barrel.

IMG_20180906_234333.thumb.jpg.f1bf73f5c3c91ab2df9fde22e23e6419.jpg

I’m looking at actually buying a gold team top end to put onto my Limited Custom rather than buying the whole gun. I like the look of that Comp you posted though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kneelingatlas, is the short-dust-cover frame essential for making your comp work?  I'm seriously tempted by it and contemplating getting a 9mm Limited to use as the basis for the build; would the dust-cover have to be cut?  

I’m curious as well, I’m guessing so since the guide rod is used as a support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ATLDave said:

kneelingatlas, is the short-dust-cover frame essential for making your comp work?  I'm seriously tempted by it and contemplating getting a 9mm Limited to use as the basis for the build; would the dust-cover have to be cut?  

The dust cover does not need to be cut, the comp can work with a Gold Team, Limited, or a Stock II.

Videoed is 170pf. 9.6g of AA7 under a 115g Blue bullet @(non reamed) 1.06 OAL. Compressed. AA7 is the s#!t and so is the Durso comp. 9mm 115g major wasn't possible with the V12. The Durso comp has been a MAJOR (pun intended) improvement over the V12 for me. I wasn't expecting to make major until closet to 10.5g. But low and behold compressed AA7 at 9.6g was the ticket.

Just now, Apolo said:

Pretty much man. I have been through the ringer with this gun. Almost didn't stick it out and I'm glad I did. @johnbu knows. Once you get it right it's exceptional.

That's awesome! My Tanfo journey is only just beginning, and it's refreshing to have folks like Atlas, John, and you around to show me the light at the end of the tunnel.

5 hours ago, Apolo said:

Pretty much man. I have been through the ringer with this gun. Almost didn't stick it out and I'm glad I did. @johnbu knows. Once you get it right it's exceptional.

Lol, his gun was "almost" right for a long time.  but it had a few problems that were suble and drove us to drinking!

But, now with that comp, his gun is as good as the best out there.  And he has a 30+1 mag that runs!

4 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Lol, his gun was "almost" right for a long time.  but it had a few problems that were suble and drove us to drinking!

But, now with that comp, his gun is as good as the best out there.  And he has a 30+1 mag that runs!

It went from kinda dumpy and disappointin to about as good as it gets

17 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Did I read that right? 30+1?! ?