Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to USPSA stage design - couple questions

8 hours ago, perttime said:

In IPSC, people often keep the Long stages easy to run, and put swingers and other more labor intensive things in Short and Medium courses. That can be a big help in getting smooth Match Flow: no bottle necks where lots of squads pile up.

I'm use to designing long stages with lots of targets/rest, that flow. Just have to see how USPSA flow/reset works.

USPSA goes for Long stages most of the time anyway. So, they all take a relatively long time to shoot and reset.

In IPSC, a ratio that favors Short and Medium stages is mandatory.

If you do include shorter stages, with the long ones, it makes sense to put the more complicated props, swingers and movers in the shorter stages. So the difference in how long it takes to process a squad isn't too much.

10 hours ago, waktasz said:

The plates appear to be very close in some locations. Remember the minimum distance is 23 ft

I was surprised to have read that as well, always thought it was 21' , that seems to be the standard everywhere else. 

No matter the discipline, very seldom have them as close as 21'

7 hours ago, perttime said:

23 if there's a barrier. 26 if there's only a fault line keeping the competitor at that distance.

Closest is 9 yards, there are 2-3 that possibly "could be shot at", at 7-8 yds, but you would be shooting basically at the edge.

Edited by toothandnail

Well, match went pretty well, quite a bit different style than many USPSA guys had seen. 

The jungle run stage was pretty difficult for many, you could sure tell the 3 gunners on this style stage.

Many had never shot a stage with a vehicle prop as well.

In both of these stages the 2 top USPSA guys still did well, as expected. The stage planning was more challenging on those 2 stages, than a typical USPSA stage.

I finished 2nd in open 3rd in PCC, not bad for a U class noobie.? small match though.?

Edited by toothandnail

• 1 month later...

We have a match in our area (Mid-Atlantic, Area 8 ) that uses caution tape for faultlines.

It makes setup and teardown easier and allows them to get their match setup the morning of  while still putting up some pretty large stages.

1 hour ago, davidb72 said:

We have a match in our area (Mid-Atlantic, Area 8 ) that uses caution tape for faultlines.

It makes setup and teardown easier and allows them to get their match setup the morning of  while still putting up some pretty large stages.

We used some tape for an end of season monster match this year. Since there were other questionable things about the match since it was just for fun we thought it was ok. But technically not even close to being legal fault lines.

At our locals, we’re often short of fault line for the wide or zigzagging or long/narrow shooting areas I seem to prefer. And hoarding 200+ linear feet of fault line in one bay would be downright rude to the guys setting up others.

Consequently, I often use aerosol pavement-striping paint on our gravel bays for fault lines anywhere the shooter will not likely venture close to. The corners they’ll stop in, or the sides they’ll shoot on-the-move alongside? Those still get staked down wooden 2x2s.

Works well at the local level.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

At our locals, we’re often short of fault line for the wide or zigzagging or long/narrow shooting areas I seem to prefer. And hoarding 200+ linear feet of fault line in one bay would be downright rude to the guys setting up others.

Consequently, I often use aerosol pavement-striping paint on our gravel bays for fault lines anywhere the shooter will not likely venture close to. The corners they’ll stop in, or the sides they’ll shoot on-the-move alongside? Those still get staked down wooden 2x2s.

Works well at the local level.

Kinda what I'm leaning towards, only use a rope like we do in 3 gun. Anyplace a shooter could/would be shooting from, gets a 2x2 . Like you, most of my stages will cover quite a bit of ground , and not keep the same shooting area, every stage, every month.

Edited by toothandnail