Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roller handle comparison

Does anyone have any first hand experience with BOTH the Dillon roller handle and the Inline Fab ergo roller handle? I’m sure they are both fine products but I’m looking for someone who has pulled both levers and can tell me if they prefer one over the other. It will be going on a 550C. 

Thank you

I have a Dillon roller on my 550 and an Inline Fab on my 650.  If I bought a new press, I'd definitely go with the Inline Fabrication handle, and in fact I toy with the idea of going that route on some of my single stages, which currently have the OEM Dillon ball handles that I removed from the progressives.  I don't load on my single stages as much but I expect that to change in the near future and may swap the handle at least on my primary single stage press.  Having said all of that, I don't look at the Dillon Handle on my 550 and swoon that "I just gotta" change it.  It's fine.  I like how the Inline Fabrication has the angle built in, so I don't have to reach as low on the downstroke.  I do have to lean forward a little more for the forward stroke, but since I'm putting my weight on the forward stroke to seat the primer, I think in the end it works out better that way.  If my memory is correct, I believe the two handles are pretty close to the same price (IF runs sales on holidays) but I haven't looked in awhile.  I've also exchanged some emails in the past with the Inline Fabrication owner, and he's a very good guy to deal with-- but of course Dillon is an awesome company too!  If you like supporting a small company, though, I really have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with Inline and their products.

Edited by jkrispies

17 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I have a Dillon roller on my 550 and an Inline Fab on my 650.  If I bought a new press, I'd definitely go with the Inline Fabrication handle, and in fact I toy with the idea of going that route on some of my single stages, which currently have the OEM Dillon ball handles that I removed from the progressives.  I don't load on my single stages as much but I expect that to change in the near future and may swap the handle at least on my primary single stage press.  Having said all of that, I don't look at the Dillon Handle on my 550 and swoon that "I just gotta" change it.  It's fine.  I like how the Inline Fabrication has the angle built in, so I don't have to reach as low on the downstroke.  I do have to lean forward a little more for the forward stroke, but since I'm putting my weight on the forward stroke to seat the primer, I think in the end it works out better that way.  If my memory is correct, I believe the two handles are pretty close to the same price (IF runs sales on holidays) but I haven't looked in awhile.  I've also exchanged some emails in the past with the Inline Fabrication owner, and he's a very good guy to deal with-- but of course Dillon is an awesome company too!  If you like supporting a small company, though, I really have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with Inline and their products.

Jkrispies,

this is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks so much. 

1 hour ago, Swanny10 said:

Jkrispies,

this is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks so much. 

My pleasure.  If Inline Fabrication isn't running any sales, I'd recommend sending them an email to ask if they have any specials coming up.  When I bought some lights from them, they were really helpful and went out of their way to piece together two different light sets to create an "off catalog" item for me.  Really cool folks to work with.  Speaking of lights, if you don't already have one on your 550 I'd STRONGLY recommend getting one of theirs and just buy it at the same time if it saves in shipping.

4 hours ago, jkrispies said:

My pleasure.  If Inline Fabrication isn't running any sales, I'd recommend sending them an email to ask if they have any specials coming up.  When I bought some lights from them, they were really helpful and went out of their way to piece together two different light sets to create an "off catalog" item for me.  Really cool folks to work with.  Speaking of lights, if you don't already have one on your 550 I'd STRONGLY recommend getting one of theirs and just buy it at the same time if it saves in shipping.

Yep. I just upgraded from a square deal to the 550 (as in today I did). I had an inline light on sdb. And their Ultramount as well. Had to drill 2 holes to fit the 550 and it fits perfect. I was already planning on buying a light for it. So I will just grab their roller handle while I’m at it. 

I have a Inline Fabrication handle  on my 550C

I've used the Dillon roller handle on a buddies 550 & 650 and had a Dillon roller handle when I had my Dillon SL900

Nothing wrong with the Dillon roller handle... but I prefer the Inline Fabrication roller handle.

I 2'nd JKrispies comments about Inline Fabrication being good to deal with - Dan Clausen (owner of IF)is top shelf.

I too use one of his lights AND I have IF strong mounts on both my Dillon and my Redding press - The IF strong mounts are very very well built.

From day one on my 650 I used the IF roller handle. Top quality works great little to no effort to use. Then I had a chance to try the Dillon aluminum roller. I liked it better because I felt it gave me a more tactile feel when seating the primer. The IF was too smooth, just too easy. I still use the Dillon and sold the IF roller to a friend for use on his 550. 

I dont believe they sell the Dillon plastic handled roller anymore but if they do I would not buy it. I had one on my 550 and because the handle is triangular in shape I always felt for a flat as I used it, annoying to say the least. 

I have both. The answer is "it depends". The Ergo roller handle changes the position of the handle to add leverage to lower mounted tables. If your press is mounted to a bench sized correctly at the bottom of the downward stroke you probably won't like the Ergo. When I moved I set up a new reloading bench that I sized for the standing position. The Ergo handle raised the handle height at the bottom of the stroke and gave me less leverage, not more. I then switched to the standard height IF roller handle which is the same height as the standard Dillon roller handle. The same is also true of my other presses as well. I think I still have the Ergo handle for a RCBS RC Supreme.

TL;DR Ergo if your press feels too low. Standard if your press is just right.

Edited by 858

858 is spot on - it all depends on your position with respect to the press.

I load sitting down on a tall lab chair, so I simply adjust its height to the particular press - I have four, mounted at different heights.  It doesn't take long to find the right height.

I installed in IF roller handle on my 650.....6 pulls took it off...just wasn’t comfortable for my use. If someone need a new one with the foam cover......make me a reasonable offer...

just sitting under my bench.....as new....really!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve got the IF handle installed and about 500 pulls on it. I thought I would follow up with my observations. Bear in mind, these are entirely subjective and 100% mine.

1. I made about 800 rounds with the factory ball handle before the ergo handle arrived. Not once did I think, this thing sucks, I wish I had the roller handle. Interpret that however you want. 

2. The offset of the handle does give the impression of a shorter total stroke. Obviously it doesn’t. But does feel that way. The modified stroke allows me to stand closer to the press and get on top so I can look down on the carousel better. I very much like that. 

3. Whether this is an illusion or not idk. But it feels like there is a significant difference in leverage. Both on the down stroke and when setting the primers. 

On a side note, I’m even more impressed with the 550 light than I am with the sdb light. Even brighter and more centered on the shell plate. At roughly $35 it’s a no brainer.