Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel locking lugs bad

Badnews

008.JPG.4c430393dff2a66200456fb04d5b5360.JPGGun is tearing up locking lugs, on 2 difference Barrels. 1 Gold Team within 800 rounds, 1 Silver Team Within 12 K rounds. Not shooting hot loads. 8.0 GR-HS6  OL 1.250  121 HP bullet.  Need to know what’s going on and how to fix. Thank you for your help.

007.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by Badnews
pictures

13 hours ago, Polymer said:

I have a gun with a barrel that has exact same issue, not nearly as severe, and it's brand new with zero rounds through it. Barrel fitment issue for me. It just went back to EAA.

Sorry to hear that. And I would sure like to know what they say about it, and what the issue is. Thank you for letting me know.

23 minutes ago, Mlussoro said:

Lock up timing issue,comp to slide fit issue, I have 5000 rds in gold team barrel looks brand new, 30k on a limited still looks new.  Do you have stock barrel and comp? Or just fit from CC ? 

I bought a Gold Team convkit, it 2011. I sent it to Rich to have it checked out. Just fit from CC. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Mlussoro said:

I have a spare barrel 38s single port brand new , is slide stroked? Are you running buffers 

I'm not going to fix it until I know  what's wrong with it, and how to fix it. I don't want to go through this again. When I bought this I had done some research, and found out they had a lot of problems, with the gold team guns at that time.

Yes all gold team owners have had issues with feeding light strikes mag problems extractor issues etc.  seen a few barrel lug issues but not many.  You will figure it out, kujo was having same issues you are having both with aftermarket barrel comp set ups if I’m correct.  

8 hours ago, Badnews said:

It may be a timing issue, but the gun was fitted by Rich Canyon creek custom, and it fit great.

When you say "fitted", what do you mean?

If you sent them the gun and it's eating the barrel ... send it back.

Not casting aspersions. But even stellar smiths are human. Mistakes happen or other factors come into play that were unexpected.   Canyon Creek has a great rep and I'm sure they would want it back to make it right.

My experience from another thread:

Got off phone with EAA.  They stated it was my fault that caused the barrel lugs to wear improperly.  They stated the polish job I did on the trigger bar is causing timing issues/hammer to drag/etc.  Made me pay for new barrel and trigger bar, with labor.  I refused and told them to send gun back.  

I have another Tanfoglio Stock 2 purchased approximately 2 years ago, with several thousand rounds through it.  I swapped barrels and noticed the new barrel also had lock up issues in the old gun; old barrel was fine in the new gun. Therefore, I asked them if there is a possible issue with somewhere on barrel being out of spec.  I stated this to them and they completely went overboard, not even addressing the issue, yelling at me saying I did not know what I was doing and I caused all the issues and they do not have any warranty service with any modified firearms.  They stated I fired this firearm with all the polish work done to it and I caused the issue when it is a brand new firearm, only fired from factory.  Worst experience ever.  Don't even bother to send anything to them unless it's a brand new and completely factory.  I can see now why everyone in the past has horrible experience with them.  I'm going to talk to PD about my issue or just buy new barrel myself.  

The "hood" of the barrel (the top that touches the breach) may be too tight of a fit.  clean the gun to pristine.  use sharpie to black the lugs and hood.  hand cycle.  This is a precision adjustment between tight/chewing lugs to tight/ accurate to loose NOT accurate.  it's almost better to think polishing away 0.0001" at a time. 

I've also seen where the dimple in the front slide cut is a hole and a dawson front sight is used. That little screw can be screwed down too far and touch the barrel.  yeah... just a wee bit of a touch.  but it was starting to chew the lugs.

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

The "hood" of the barrel (the top that touches the breach) may be too tight of a fit.  clean the gun to pristine.  use sharpie to black the lugs and hood.  hand cycle.  This is a precision adjustment between tight/chewing lugs to tight/ accurate to loose NOT accurate.  it's almost better to think polishing away 0.0001" at a time. 

I've also seen where the dimple in the front slide cut is a hole and a dawson front sight is used. That little screw can be screwed down too far and touch the barrel.  yeah... just a wee bit of a touch.  but it was starting to chew the lugs.

Thank you John, will do. I swear, you know everything haha

21 hours ago, Polymer said:

My experience from another thread:

Got off phone with EAA.  They stated it was my fault that caused the barrel lugs to wear improperly.  They stated the polish job I did on the trigger bar is causing timing issues/hammer to drag/etc.  Made me pay for new barrel and trigger bar, with labor.  I refused and told them to send gun back.  

I have another Tanfoglio Stock 2 purchased approximately 2 years ago, with several thousand rounds through it.  I swapped barrels and noticed the new barrel also had lock up issues in the old gun; old barrel was fine in the new gun. Therefore, I asked them if there is a possible issue with somewhere on barrel being out of spec.  I stated this to them and they completely went overboard, not even addressing the issue, yelling at me saying I did not know what I was doing and I caused all the issues and they do not have any warranty service with any modified firearms.  They stated I fired this firearm with all the polish work done to it and I caused the issue when it is a brand new firearm, only fired from factory.  Worst experience ever.  Don't even bother to send anything to them unless it's a brand new and completely factory.  I can see now why everyone in the past has horrible experience with them.  I'm going to talk to PD about my issue or just buy new barrel myself.  

Sorry to hear about that. I figured they would tell you something like that. They told me the same thing, on a silver team. that they built for me. Then they told me they do not guarantee race guns.

Edited by Badnews
forgot a word

21 hours ago, Polymer said:

Thank you John, will do. I swear, you know everything haha

Lol. 

Thanks for the thought, but i certainly DO NOT know everything! I'm just cursed with an engineering background and the ability to explain things fairly well.  

Most tanfo issues can be figured out with a slow, detailed investigation seeing how the parts interact.

FYI - Joe at Patriot Defense is the guy i call when i see goofy stuff.  He does know about everything!

Edited by johnbu

7 hours ago, Badnews said:

Sorry to hear about that. I figured they would tell you something like that. They told me the same thing, on a silver team. that they built for me. Then they told me they do not guarantee race guns.

Geez. What are you planning to do?

Got gun back from EAA.  Tore it apart and upon their reassembly I noticed they did not drop the sear spring leg back down on the safety and left it upright on sear cage; forgot to put hammer pin retaining pin back in so now I have to replace that part myself.  Seriously, f*#king newbies, my blind grandpa could of done a better job.  After advice from PD and johnbu here on the boards, I believe I have got the barrel fitted properly.  Will see outcome here in the next few thousand rounds.