Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel locking lugs bad

Badnews

3 hours ago, Polymer said:

Got gun back from EAA.  Tore it apart and upon their reassembly I noticed they did not drop the sear spring leg back down on the safety and left it upright on sear cage; forgot to put hammer pin retaining pin back in so now I have to replace that part myself.  Seriously, f*#king newbies, my blind grandpa could of done a better job.  After advice from PD and johnbu here on the boards, I believe I have got the barrel fitted properly.  Will see outcome here in the next few thousand rounds.  

wow sorry to hear, but thanks that does not surprise me. Know not to send to them!

3 hours ago, Polymer said:

Got gun back from EAA.  Tore it apart and upon their reassembly I noticed they did not drop the sear spring leg back down on the safety and left it upright on sear cage; forgot to put hammer pin retaining pin back in so now I have to replace that part myself.  Seriously, f*#king newbies, my blind grandpa could of done a better job.  After advice from PD and johnbu here on the boards, I believe I have got the barrel fitted properly.  Will see outcome here in the next few thousand rounds.  

wow sorry to hear, but thanks that does not surprise me. Know not to send to them!

12 hours ago, Polymer said:

Wow!  that is a total rookie move.   that keeper pin is one i don't have as a spare.

The barrel fitting isn't difficult,  but getting it so it just "snicks" into place with near perfection is time consuming. However, the slight reduction in accuracy from a slightly loose fit is better than eating the lugs.

• 2 weeks later...

For the people that haven't checked this on their gun, i just figured out my main issue after fitting barrel. 

Newer gun, notch on top of trigger bar is narrow. Older gun (the dirty one), notch on top of trigger bar is much wider. As the barrel unlocks, it slides back and down. The corners of the lower locking lug are not able to fit deep enough into this notch. This throws off the timing as barrel unlocks/slide comes rearward, beating up the very top edge of locking lugs. 

20181021_110428-1.jpg

20181021_110458-1.jpg

Edited by Polymer

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, FALAR said:

Yikes, this problem looks more common than I thought.  Is there any way to check for proper fitment immediately or do you just need to rack up a round count and keep an eye on it?

Clean the barrel and slide, oil free. "Paint" the lugs in the slide and barrel with a magic marker (sharpie is my favorite). Then rack the gun several times and inspect.

I also inspect the front sight post retaining screw to see if it is intruding into the barrel area of the slide (or touching the barrel). Even a light touch will allow the timing to go off and damage the lugs.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:54 PM, Polymer said:

For the people that haven't checked this on their gun, i just figured out my main issue after fitting barrel. 

Newer gun, notch on top of trigger bar is narrow. Older gun (the dirty one), notch on top of trigger bar is much wider. As the barrel unlocks, it slides back and down. The corners of the lower locking lug are not able to fit deep enough into this notch. This throws off the timing as barrel unlocks/slide comes rearward, beating up the very top edge of locking lugs. 

20181021_110428-1.jpg

20181021_110458-1.jpg

Wow interesting, I never thought to check that on my guns.  Fortunately both of mine look like the bottom one.  I wonder if the difference in the trigger bars is due to a SA only gun vs a DA/SA?

5 hours ago, johnbu said:

Clean the barrel and slide, oil free. "Paint" the lugs in the slide and barrel with a magic marker (sharpie is my favorite). Then rack the gun several times and inspect.

I also inspect the front sight post retaining screw to see if it is intruding into the barrel area of the slide (or touching the barrel). Even a light touch will allow the timing to go off and damage the lugs.

So if it is bad it can just be "fit" properly, by removing material from these surfaces?  With the OD of the barrel being hard chrome that might be hard to do, plus you might get through the plating.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:36 PM, FALAR said:

So if it is bad it can just be "fit" properly, by removing material from these surfaces?  With the OD of the barrel being hard chrome that might be hard to do, plus you might get through the plating.

NO ! don't muck about with the lugs. That's not where fitting is done.

There are write ups on how, should you desire to attempt it.

17 hours ago, johnbu said:

NO ! don't muck about with the lugs. That's not where fitting is done.

There are write ups on how, should you desire to attempt it.

I would never do so myself, assuming a good smith that knows Tanfoglios/CZs could do it.

I'm marking the lugs of my Stock II now to check them out.  I painted all the high spots on both the slide and barrel.