Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Loading 9mm Automatic Brass?

kneelingatlas

Inspired by this article by Brad Miller

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/9mm-automatic-better-9mm-cartridge/

I did a short-lived experiment loading 9 major, then pushing the loaded rounds through a 38 super sizing die using a Lee Bulge Buster set-up.  The results were awesome: 30+1 in the big stick, smooth feeding, the only problem was the extra brass gathered in the rim, making it too think to cycle through some of my guns.  Given this setback, I decided to scrap the project, account for each piece of bastardized brass, and send them to the recycler.

The answer was clear: a case pro with 38SC dies!  I just can't bring myself to go to all that trouble, after all, I shoot 9mm over 38SC, so I don't have to collect brass.

Just for an experiment, the thought of cutting 5.56 cases down to 19mm, has anyone ever tried this?  It seems like this would be a perfect way to get a smooth 0.378 from crimp to rim.  It occurs to me the cases would probably fire form to the chamber and need to be sized with a 5.56 size die and I probably won't ever get around to trying it, but has anyone else had these thoughts?

Edited by kneelingatlas

9 hours ago, manolis said:

It is easy to cut 5.56 cases down to 19mm ( in a lathe).The problem is that the walls of the cutted case is very thick and they bulk too much when a lead (.357) bullet gets in.Also i think that the bottom is much thicker(less volume for powder).

Manolis

Good points Manolis

2 hours ago, ddc said:

Not much help but I'm curious: Wasn't the 5.56 case the case that the 9x23 Winchester was derived from? That seems to ring a bell.

No. The 9X23 Winchester has the same external dimensions as a 9mm (9X19) and 9X21, but longer at 23mm length.  A 5.56 case has much smaller head dimensions. 

2 hours ago, superdude said:

I can't give you an exact number, as this was years back and that stuff is in storage - I think - don't hold me too it (I might have tossed some stuff). I'd guesstimate about a hundred or so total. Maybe less. 

I see, just enough to experiment

5 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I see, just enough to experiment

Yup. It's a pain to cut stuff stuff down, and then each one becomes super valuable and you end up chasing down everything that's ejected in the gravel or grass so you can use it again so you're not forced to cut down more.

7 hours ago, superdude said:

Yup. It's a pain to cut stuff stuff down, and then each one becomes super valuable and you end up chasing down everything that's ejected in the gravel or grass so you can use it again so you're not forced to cut down more.

If you're going to all that trouble you might as well shoot 38sc ?

6 hours ago, oddjob said:

One of my friends shoots 9mm Major.  He runs his 9mm brass through a Case Pro using 38 Super dies.  He found it makes his open gun run more reliably.  He's been doing this for years and he's pretty happy.

I know this is the best way to do it, I'm just too cheap to buy a CasePro