Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for a PVD/DLC coating

IDAHOAASHOOTER

So I bought this Eddie Garcia 6" several weeks ago. It's been an awesome shooter for the 2500 rounds I've got through it.

A local shooter had a brand new cheely grip so I decided to give it a chance. I got it fitted after work this morning, I'd like to go ahead and coat this gun as it's gonna see ALOT of use. 

This is the first gun I've sent out for coating so as the title says im searching for a reputable company. 

And go! 

received_1125606947564377.thumb.jpeg.f37e32da24441c5023c4efda22f54913.jpeg

I’ve also considered the idea of using PVD coating. It’s what keeps carbide endmills sharp so it’s got to be about the toughest coating there is. As far as finding someone to do it. I would suggest a company that makes endmills. What region of the world are you in? I have close contact with a tooling engineer from Fastenal. I might be able to put you in contact with someone more local to you

I thought Primary Machine only does Cerakote and Black Nitride.

For DLC you have the following options that I've found, and I've researched pretty thoroughly:

http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html  Their price list is included in the link.  You have the option of sending parts, or having them disassemble/reassemble.

https://www.deeprivercustoms.com/gunsmith-services/refinishing/#.W5p99ehKiUk  They will disassemble/reassemble for you.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/services/finishing-options/ion-bond-dlc  Fusion Firearms, not sure about their disassembly/reassembly or any details with them.

You will find several companies that perform DLC finishes on industrial parts, but not firearms.  You will also find that most firearm specific vendors who offer DLC finish will send it off to be done, most likely to Jabuie in North Carolina.  I suspect this is the case for Fusion, True Precision, and others.

I'm on the fence about sending one off for DLC, but if I do it will be to Jabuie.

7 minutes ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

Has anyone recently sent anything off for TiCN or TiN?

I was looking to do one or the other. I found a site called titaniumgun or something that does TiN and the prices seem good but I'm not sure how the quality of work is

Barrel is tin an gun is dlc. Only 400 rounds on her but very nice stuff

74A66025-8128-40DB-A91A-589DC4DAD095.jpeg

2 hours ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

Has anyone recently sent anything off for TiCN or TiN?

I was looking to do one or the other. I found a site called titaniumgun or something that does TiN and the prices seem good but I'm not sure how the quality of work is

I have been looking for a while too. PVDAmerica said on facebook they would do a gun for an individual and to email them, but they didn't reply. 

Richter Precision is who Cheely and Spencer race guns use, but they will only deal with FFLs. 

Titanium gun did a barrel for a friend and they had a quick turn around but they seem to only do TiN in the gold color except for very rare runs of TiCN

4 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I have been looking for a while too. PVDAmerica said on facebook they would do a gun for an individual and to email them, but they didn't reply. 

Richter Precision is who Cheely and Spencer race guns use, but they will only deal with FFLs. 

Titanium gun did a barrel for a friend and they had a quick turn around but they seem to only do TiN in the gold color except for very rare runs of TiCN

I might just try titanium gun, I am okay with TiN instead of TiCN

On 9/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, WoodrowAugustus said:

You will find several companies that perform DLC finishes on industrial parts, but not firearms.  You will also find that most firearm specific vendors who offer DLC finish will send it off to be done, most likely to Jabuie in North Carolina.  I suspect this is the case for Fusion, True Precision, and others.

Jabuie is an authorized agent for Ionbond.  Jabuie does not do the actual coating.  

When I reached out to Ionbond, they informed me that they do not offer direct retail sales to individuals.  The other recommended agent was Evolution Armory.  Pricing seems to be better at Jabuie.