Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drifting a Shadow 2 rear sight.

Frogshooter

Hi everyone.

Yesterday during my training session I found my brand new Shadow 2 was shooting a little bit to the right (maybe like 1 to 2 inches to the right, I was standing 10 to 25 meters from the target, distance doesn't seem to worsen it).

Two questions here:

1- Is this a serious issue ? The majority of shots are still in the A zone but I experienced numerous "near" C's, maybe they would be A's if I drifted my rear sight accordingly. Maybe I'm the one to blame, I dunno.

2- How can I drift the rear sight ? It was a pain in the a** removing my SP-01 sight to install a LPA one, I can imagine it will be the same scenario on the Shadow 2 (already removed the two screws, gave some tap using a brass punch and hammer: won't move at all.) Is anybody here ever used a sight pusher successfully on the S2 ? 

Thank you guys :) 

If I were you, I’ll shoot it on a bench rest or bag to make sure it’s not the shooter. This way, you re certain it’s the sight that needs to be adjusted. Then I put a drop of oil and drift it using your brass punch and hammer.

I drifted mine after bench firing it first to make sure it was the gun and not me making the gun shoot to the right of the POI. You just need to tap it a little bit harder.

Thanks, I'll make sure it's not the shooter in the next few days, but I'm pretty confident the rear sight needs some windage adjustment.
I'd really like to do it using a sight-pusher as it's pretty safe and it seems easy :) 

I'm right handed btw.

https://czcustom.com/products/cz-gunsmith-tools/cz-rear-sight-pusher.html

Expensive but quick and precise. Makes me crazy to not be able to adjust zero.

If you get one, ignore the marks, turn screw till it stops, tighten screw about 1/4 to 1/2 turn & back off, turn screw until it stops and note how much farther the screw turned before you felt resistance. 

I'd typically start by moving the sight 1/4 turn & then see how much that changed point of aim and go from there. 

After you get used to it it is almost as fast and easy as just turning the windage screw on a standard adjustable sight. 

EDIT; - Double check that the Shadow 2 slide fits the grooves. Pretty sure I used it when I had a  Shadow 2 but I have slept since then. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

https://czcustom.com/products/cz-gunsmith-tools/cz-rear-sight-pusher.html

Expensive but quick and precise. Makes me crazy to not be able to adjust zero.

If you get one, ignore the marks, turn screw till it stops, tighten screw about 1/4 to 1/2 turn & back off, turn screw until it stops and note how much farther the screw turned before you felt resistance. 

I'd typically start by moving the sight 1/4 turn & then see how much that changed point of aim and go from there. 

After you get used to it it is almost as fast and easy as just turning the windage screw on a standard adjustable sight. 

EDIT; - Double check that the Shadow 2 slide fits the grooves. Pretty sure I used it when I had a  Shadow 2 but I have slept since then. 

Seems like the perfect tool for my case. I'm willing to pay the price but...CZ Custom won't ship in France.
Don't know if a similar tool like this (available where I am) would do the job:

https://www.armurerie-douillet.com/outil-de-reglage-universel-pour-arme-de--cat0-p5854.html

Edited by Frogshooter
Link

26 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

This sight pusher is easily available in France yes.
I've e-mailed some fellow IPSC shooters who recommend this item, I guess I'll just order the tool and see by myself if I can drift this rear sight :) 

Edited by Frogshooter
bad quote

Works good (I've used it on several CZs) just need to triple check everything is aligned and square before you start cranking on the adjustment handle.  It will take some effort to move, however once the sight breaks free it's much easier.

1 hour ago, Frogshooter said:

A few questions before ordering:

1- Do I need to heat the rear sight ? (is it locktited ?)
2- Do I need to use some oil ?

I never had to do anything but turn the pusher screw with CZ rear sights and the CZ pusher.  

On other guns with a multiple use pusher I have tightened the screw as much as felt wise and then tapped on the shaft of the pusher screw with a small hammer if the sight would not move.  That has been sufficient so far. 

Okay, so in the process of saving 80 euros (90 bucks), I decided to give this rear sight a try using a punch and a hammer.

I noticed that the sight was a little bit off-centered to the right: it is consistent with the results I saw last saturday during my training session (shots hitting 2 inches to the right).

I've duct-taped the sight to protect it and gave some solid taps: it worked !

Sight is now more or less centered, I'll go to the range tomorrow to confirm the success :D 

Off-topic question: I've just installed a 10lb recoil spring on my gun, is it normal for the guide rod to "go out" of the frame like this ? (sorry for my bad english :( )

czzz.jpg

Edited by Frogshooter
typo

3 hours ago, Frogshooter said:

Off-topic question: I've just installed a 10lb recoil spring on my gun, is it normal for the guide rod to "go out" of the frame like this ? (sorry for my bad english :( )

czzz.jpg

Rack the slide a few times and it should fall into place.  If not just remove the guide rod then reinstall it and that should do the trick.

Edited by NWfront

Thanks !

Advice to all Shadow 2 owners: no need for a sight pusher, the rear sight should be easier to drift than on other CZs (my SP-01 rear sight was IMPOSSIBLE to drift, was locktited in factory I guess...). Just protect the rear sight using duct-tape, unscrew it, grab a punch and a medium hammer, one or two firm taps should do the job !