Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frontier CMJ 124gr & 147gr Load Data

armandvdwalr

Hi Guys,

I bought 100 of each, both round nose for loading for my CZ75B, but I am having trouble finding load data for it, I was advised I could use the Jacketed data in the Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, I have a can of Hodgdon CFE Pistol.

The load I was advised was 4.9gr CFE Pistol on the 124gr

Can anyone share some loading data that they have and advise.

Thanks

Edited by armandvdwalr

I keep seeing Frontier bullets listed as CMJ, but all the Frontier bullets I’ve seen and used are plated.

CMJ is a FMJ, but the entire bullet is jacketed, no exposed base, much like a JHP.

I guess in the scheme of things it doesn’t make much difference if you are not running them(the Frontier)at the high end of jacketed velocities , but there is in fact a difference between them.

I have a can of CFE, but haven’t used it for much other than SD loads.

Just from experience, and of course every pistol is different, but I have found plated bullets, with a few exceptions, to provide less than stellar results.

You were smart to only order a few to try, but it may take more than a 100 to find a sweet spot, if in fact there is one to be found. Or I may be full of shat, and you might find a shooter the first time out. It can happen. That’s the fun and frustration of this game I guess.

Don’t know if it will help, but when I have found an acceptable plated load, it tends to be right in the middle of jacketed velocities, if not a touch towards the faster end. In fact one of the only applications where I still use plated bullets is in fact for 147 gr 9mm subsonic loading. I’ve found, with all plated bullets, but specifically the Frontier, 950-960 FPS TO BE optimal. Frontier are the best, most consistent plated bullets I’ve tried. And I’ve tried them all.

Seems like if you’d shoot them too slow they keyhole, and if you push them to fast they spray everywhere.

I have several “middle of the road” loading with HP-38, Titegroup, and AA No5. If you need any of those let me know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

The above is correct.  These are not CMJ.  They're plated.  Use any 124gr plated RN data you like.

AND I personally would not buy bullets from a company that marklets plated bullets as jacketed.  If that's what they're doing, you should not trust them for anything.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:26 PM, armandvdwalr said:

I made a typo, I meant 4.9gr

CFE is interchangeable with WAC. It takes about 5+ grains of WAC to make a decent minor load. So 4.9 is probably about right.

The above is correct.  These are not CMJ.  They're plated.  Use any 124gr plated RN data you like.

AND I personally would not buy bullets from a company that marklets plated bullets as jacketed.  If that's what they're doing, you should not trust them for anything.

The do call their bullets “CMJ” which is technically incorrect. But the wording doesn’t affect the quality of the product. I don’t shoot plated bullets any more. But I have used every brand of plated bullet, and my personal experience was that Frontier were the best of the bunch. Far and away the most consistent in terms of length and weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Speer makes a plated bullet that they advertise as TMJ.  Bonded JHP bullets are also plated.  It is all in how thick and hard the plating is. 

58 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Speer makes a plated bullet that they advertise as TMJ.  Bonded JHP bullets are also plated.  It is all in how thick and hard the plating is. 

Calling a bonded JHP or bonded rifle bullet, or something akin to Speer Gold Dots, bullets that equal or outperform traditional jacketed bullets, bullets that compete in the same market as traditional jacketed bullets, calling those TMJ is a different thing entirely, as part of the goal there is to position them properly in the marketplace. 

But a company making plated bullets with thin electro plating, a company whose products should be competing against other plated plinker bullets, that company marketing those bullets as TMJ misplaces them in the marketplace, and it's dishonest advertising.  They know what they're doing.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Benchmark said:

Accurate #9 and 180 copper plated tmj bullets.  Using Frontier. Can you provide load data?

10mm? This is the 9mm/38 forum by the way.

The old max used to be around 14.5gr of AA#9 so you can probably work up to that number if necessary.

data.pdf

Edited by 4n2t0