Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Louisiana Gator Classic Update - September 3,4

Shooters helping Shooters

If you are a shooter that needs a place to stay because of the storm

I know of several shooters in the Houston and Austin area that are willing to open their homes to you.

Posting on internet, seems kind of dumb. 'cause if you have internet access you probably don't need a place to stay but...

It's "the tool closest to my hand".

As to the match...

My guess is the folks that run the match are still trying to figure out if they and their families are alive, have homes, and/or have jobs to go to when the water goes down.

See you at the range

Tom Neal

L2362

tomneal@houston.rr.com

713 682 8060 (home

713 882 5513 (moble

Jim opened the bunkhouse to one of our fellow shooters Sun/Mon but he and his family have returned home. So it's currently vacant.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this a few minutes ago via e-mail:

Please put this out via TXIPSC list and other email

This comes from Gary Thibodaux, Match Director

Regarding the LA Gator League Championship match scheduled for this weekend.

The match has been postponed until October with the most likely dates being the weekend of Oct 8 & 9.

The range is in fine shape. Thibodaux being West of N.O. suffered mostly wind damage and about 5 inches of rain. The match has been postponed due to loss of electricity, phone, and general incapacitation of the surrounding area. Please be patient and help where ever you can.

i am sure that gary did not realize the conflict with the miss. match. i am also sure that everyone will get a refund or we will reschedule the date. please be patient for the next few days because of the lack of electricity and cell phones.as soon as they get there email back they will respond but we dont know how long that will take.

So glad to hear that Gary and Barbara are ok. These are two of my favorite people. I didn't plan on going to this match, but after reading this thread about shooters helping shooters and keeping things in perspective it makes me proud to be a member of the shooting community.

Renee, if you get to talk with Gary, Barbara, Annette, Elliott and Wanda, will you let them know I am thinking of them and keep me posted on anything you hear? Thanks!!!

Thoughts and prayers,

julie

I'm in Houma working which is about 40 miles south of Thibodaux.

Since I have to pass through Thib on my way home, I'll pass by the match hotel tonight and see what the situation is. Expect report about this time tomorrow.

OK. Didn't make it past the match hotel. An alternate route home came up and took it instead. However, one of my crew went past there on his way in and said that Thib is without power. As stated above, the match is postponed. If anyone cares, here's a post about my drive home past NOLA.

Hi Everyone,

I hate it when I have to eat my words.

I really thought that we would have power restored to make the call that would allow the match to go on.

The power was restored to Thibodaux yesterday, but communications are all but worthless. Land lines work sometimes, cell phones are spotty at best.

I can get calls from people in South Africia and New Jersey but not from Joe Touchton who lives 50 yards away. I've been unable to contact Neil Allen the M.D. or Gary Thibodaux via phone, but did receive the word that there will be no match this weekend.

THE MATCH WILL BE RESCHEDULED!!!

I'm sure that the date will not conflict with the MS Classic.

We are always looking to support our fellow shooters in the magnolia state.

I appreciate all of the well wishes and especially the prayers.

Some thoughts:

We in this area are doing much better than the people in the New Orleans area, but we are stretching our resources very thin to try and provide shelters, food, medical care and the essentials of life for the refugees we are hosting.

Nicholls State University is in the match town of Thibodaux and there are over 3000 displaced refugees there.

I am a teacher, and we will be called upon to provide education to many hundreds, maybe thousands, of students in our parish. These students will be classified as Homeless and we will have to provide them with uniforms, materials, books, shoes, everything!

I would like to ask all of you who wish to help the victims of Katrina to adopt one child or one family and provide them with one outfit of clothing and one set of school supplies.

You can mail or ship your donations to me and I will be sure that they are distributed to victims of Katrina at:

Ray J. Pierce

St. Hilary Church

333 Twin Oaks Drive

Raceland LA 70394

The following items are needed:

School Uniforms:

(White Polo-Styled Shirts, Tan Kahki Pants or Shorts, Belts, Shoes, Socks, underwear)

Notebooks

Mesh Bookbags

Pens

Pencils

Note Pads

Crayons

Rulers

Childrens Books

Disposable Diapers

God Bless You All!

good to hear from you chris. glad that you are ok. we are doing fine. i dont have internet access except at work. gonna go get what is left of my camp in grand isle in the morning. you could pull some strings with entergy to get the lights back on (i know that you are high up there :) stay safe and i will call when i can.

Renee, tell Jim Jr. that the family and I REALLY appreciate him letting us stay in the bunkhouse. He was a life saver. My father-in-law would not have slept a wink in a hotel because of the 11 beagles in the back of his truck. Now, I owe Jim, big-time, for not taking a penny from me. All is well back home, and don't forget to thank Jim and the rest of the gang for their hospitality.

James,

Our church is housing about 100 linemen in our airconditioned hall and Youth Center. Tonight a group of grateful people cooked a cajun meal for them. I know they're working in that direction, but as of today, I know that Galliano had NO electricity. There are multiple crews working and they're moving fast.

From what I've hear, lots of poles down and/or gone.

Has anyone heard from Andrew B, Burt, or the St. Bernard crew???

Praying for everyone's safety.

NOW GO MAKE ME SOME GASOLINE!!!!

we are in the process of starting the plant up tonight. we had to replace 7 of our cooling water tower fan shrouds. we should be the first one on the gulf coast back up. hopefully that will keep the gas prices down a little bit. i have to register with the galliano police to even enter the island. from what i can see it is still standing but will have to be knocked down and rebuilt because of the water damage. gonna have to salvage my fishing poles and what ever we can get . gonna go monday. later

Hi to all of you Katrina victims, our prayers go out to you. I was going to be an R.O. at the Gator classic. I just saw that there may be a discussion that the Ms classic and tha Gator classic be combined into a larger benefit match. This is only in the talking stages, so don't gossip. We had lots of tree damage in this area, power is still out. This is being done via generator. Hope to see ya'll soon at a match. See Ya Bill

Posting this per match director Neil Allen's request:

The new dates for the 2005 Louisiana Gator Classic in Thibodaux, La. are October 28th, 29th, 30th.

Contact Neil Allen jmeltd@bellsouth.net or Gary & Barbara Thibodaux gatbullets@cajunnet.com with any questions you may have.

Edited by Flexmoney

With the new dates of the Gator Classic there will be a very nice attraction for shooters to attend.

This is the weekend of the Louisiana Gumbo Festival, put on by the Chackbay Volunteer Fireman, just a short 7 miles north from the match hotel. Excellent gumbo, sauce picante, jambalaya, refreshments, good live bands, rides for the kids. It runs Friday thru Sunday from 12 noon till everyone leaves daily.

Go to lagumbofest.com for more information. Just remember to bring a lawn chair to sit and relax.

Rv spots are available for dry camping for $8/day.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...