Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mount issues with STI Matchmaster and RTS2 . Help Please

Bamaboy

I have a Matchmaster that blows carbon gas on the top edge of the lens of my rts2.  I have run a Limcat mount and currently have a Cheely Customs.  Neither seems to have a high enough blast shield for the shorty.  

Can Yall give some recommendations?  I'm about ready to sell this Cheely mount and buy another.  HELP

5 hours ago, Janskis said:

This is what I am using. I get some gasses on the glass but it's not too bad. Feels like it stays clearer than the original slideride with the STI mount.

Not a bad little setup there. My hope is to completely keep the gas off the glass though. 

33 minutes ago, Kema said:

I have cheely and rts2 at matchmaster and no issues with carbon, I use VV 3n38, so maybe it's running cleaner. Use slideglige or similar grease at barrel to minimize oil spray.

Do you mind sharing your load data. I'm about out of CFE Pistol and looking for something cleaner. And what pf do you hit and how's the barrel rise

3 minutes ago, Kema said:

8.6-8.7 grains to get major pf with 124gr bullet. My gun has seen some shots thought. 

Cool. Why 3n83 and not n320. I hear so much about n320 but have never used VV powders before. Help would be greatly appreciated 

5 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Try some HS-6, Silhouette, or Auto Comp. Those are my favorite 9mm open powders. Thanks, Eric

I've run auto comp and it seems just as dirty as CFE.  I think I have done some hs6 also.  I need clean. Like eat of the floor clean. This dot is driving me crazy. Never used silhouette though. Can y'all give me some feedback on that

Edited by Bamaboy

What is clean the lens when it gets dirty? I run SV mount with three 10degree rear holes and no blast shield. Clean it every three stage or when I can’t see the dot after a bad run in practice. 

16 hours ago, Bamaboy said:

I've run auto comp and it seems just as dirty as CFE.  I think I have done some hs6 also.  I need clean. Like eat of the floor clean. This dot is driving me crazy. Never used silhouette though. Can y'all give me some feedback on that

I'm not sure if that is even possible with the shorty... :D

But please report back if you find a solution! I'm interested to find out if it IS possible! :)

My situation isn't as bad as with 3gunDQ, since I usually run several matches before cleaning my lens. Bought the RTS2 in June and cleaned it for the first time last Sunday, after a total of two big competitions and several training sessions. Minor ammo (borrowed for a new shooter) was Sellier&Bellot and major is 9,3grs of RS24

Edited by Janskis

12 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

What is clean the lens when it gets dirty? I run SV mount with three 10degree rear holes and no blast shield. Clean it every three stage or when I can’t see the dot after a bad run in practice. 

If I shoot 30 rounds I have to clean the lens. I'm thinking I'm going to switch to VV 3n38

9 hours ago, Janskis said:

I'm not sure if that is even possible with the shorty... :D

But please report back if you find a solution! I'm interested to find out if it IS possible! :)

My situation isn't as bad as with 3gunDQ, since I usually run several matches before cleaning my lens. Bought the RTS2 in June and cleaned it for the first time last Sunday, after a total of two big competitions and several training sessions. Minor ammo (borrowed for a new shooter) was Sellier&Bellot and major is 9,3grs of RS24

I talked to STI sent pics of my comp and they said things look normal. They said to send pics of the build up and if it's bad they want me to send the gun in. Thinking I'm going to VV 3N38

For smoke and stuff getting on the lens I've found blast shields to do nothing and in some cases it makes it worse.  It all depends on your powder/bullet/oil combo in conjunction with your comp, holes, and dot location.  Blast shields make the most sense if they're actually protecting the lens from hot gasses by being right over a popple hole.  If it's that important to you then you can play with all those items or just get a setup to clean it at the match as needed.