Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Primer

outerlimits

after having used small rifle primers for many year, i'm thinking about going back to small pistol. with the PF so low, why not? assuming one does not have issues with primer flow, what's the problem? any one else switch back?

Also depends on what powder you are using in 40 major-if you are using something with a high pressure peak (like Clays) you might wanna stick to SR.  Otherwise I would agree-SP is fine for most powders in major.

Dave M.

what would you suggest for users of Titegroup or N320 in 40 major?

I pretty much exclusively use Win SP primers in 40 and 38 super. Though I tend to use heavier bullets in Super than most, 130 or 135's so I'm not burning quite as much as everyone else is. My powder of choice is 4756. In 40 I utilize Power Pistol, Titegroup, and 231 depending on application. In general I don't exceed book maxes in the 40, but do in the 38 super. I've not run into any pressure problems with either caliber thus far and prefer to just use SP for all my semi-auto pistol loads.

If I am working up a Super load that uses the SR primers, I do that first checking PF via velocity, and then later I'll try the same load with SP primers and again check my PF and look for pressure signs. So far I haven't had any issues switching them all back to SP primers.

Vince

Just for simplisity.. why stock 2 primers?

I'm going from SP to SR, just so I only have to buy one primer for 40 and .223..

In my case, I stock about 14.. so 2 diff ones? who cares? :)

Win SP for 9mm, 40 S&W, 38/357mag, and 32 S&W long.

Win and CCI SR for 223, CCI's I picked up in an estate sale, Win's I usually win at Yolo.

Fed LR for 308 and 30-30

Win LP for 45 sometime soon, used to use them for 45's and 10 mm when I had the full power spring in it.

Still have Rem 57's and CCI 157s from way back...

Still have Win and Rem LR Mag from my 300 WM days

Still have Norma and Fiocchi LR primers from a long time ago.

Federal SP for 40 S&W and 38/357 red pwr mainsprings in my 2 S&W revo's.

Federal LP for 10 mm reduced power mainspring for full power 10mm loads.

Winchester 209 for shotshells.

Do you see where this takes me? :)

Vince

PS did I mention that I'm a pack rat? :lol:

Getting ready for Area 4 I got behind and had to put my ammo together somewhat at the last minute.

40 S&W in a Para, 155 MG, 6.0 VV 320, Speer cases, CCI SP. at 1.20".

I used the CCIs because I had enough on hand and have never had a problem with them.

155 MGs...because like I said I was behind and thats what the store had in stock...at that point, beggars can't be choosers.

Toss up between 320 and TG, but I could not find a major load anywhere for TG and some kind soul here on BE saved me with a 155 major load for 320.

Having not even chrono'd before Area 4, the load made 171 no sweat, well it was LA in the summer, so lots of sweat...how about, no worries.

I had bought 200 of the 155 MG and they worked so good at A4 its what I've been using ever since. But, I've run a lot of them over the choro just for grins.

I believe the key measure for an IPSC load is extreme spread. That being said, over the past couple of months every time I go shooting I run a couple of these rounds over the chrono. Its been between 80 and 100 on the old thermometer and humidity between 40 and 70 percent.

The extreme spread for all these shots is 37.

Have I been lucky that all the rounds I pulled at random have been this consistent? Maybe.

Does this ES and PF border on minor if everything is on the low end? Sure.

All this rambling to really say SPs don't seem to have a problem consistently igniting 6 grains of 320.

I've simplified to where I only use 1 primer for 9 minor, 9 major, 40 minor and

40 major. I use WSPM primers for all. They are halfway between SP and SR

in hardness. No flow problems with 172 PF 9 major, and I get better ignition

and more consistent velocity in my 40 cal production loads.

I only use rifle primers in rifles. I have used WW Magnum SP primers in 38 stupor with a 124 and a slow powder (AA7) at up to 180 PF. I use regular Federal SP100's in 9x21 Major at 172PF with a kinda fast powder (WW540) with no problems.

I'd say it depends on whether you are running 115's at full afterburner, or not ;-)

--

Regards,