Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ S2 to X5

PM1911

I actually had an X5 first. Started into USPSA last year with it and really enjoyed shooting it. Buddy of mine highly suggested that I try a shadow 2 out. I tried his and I did enjoy it, bought one but it took me quite a while to get used to the da/sa setup vs striker-fired.

Although I compete in production with my S2, I decided to breathe life back into the X5 by putting a Romeo 1 on it and kitting it out for carry Optics.

I have a springer tungsten guide rod and a gray guns competition trigger kit on the way that I will install myself.

I debated switching back and forth between the two guns for production but realized specialization with one platform certainly creates some (potentially small?) benefits in the game. With that in mind, I decided that the X5 would make a perfect carry Optics platform. I can of course get higher hit factors on any classifier stages I run with the X5 and Red Dot, and with further CO practice I know this improvement will continue to grow.

I'm not sure how cost-effective it is to have one lower for running both carry Optics and production? It seems to me that tearing the slide down and installing / uninstalling your Optics or your sights would be a big pain in the butt compared to a dedicated slide for each if you decide to use a single lower. The benefit of a single lower if you do get a trigger job is that your one lower will serve both divisions and you don't have to dump another 100 + bucks and the time into another trigger job.

In short, I have basically identical times with both my Shadow 2 and my Sig X5 when I did run them both in a production setup.

Disclosure, I am a new C-Class shooter looking to classify as B within the next couple of classifiers, so take this advice with that in mind! I am not a Master class shooter that may express a different opinion on the merits of the two.

The Shadow 2 is a great gun. I just like the idea of being able to shoot carry optics and production with the same gun.

The Shadow 2 can be cut for an optic, but then isn’t legal for production. The S2 trigger is really nice with all the Cajun parts in it.

I haven’t felt the trigger on an X5 with a trigger job yet. I have read about some guys getting their X5 triggers into the 2lb weight range. 

Not on an X5 but every time I pulled my optic (M&P Pro Core) and then put it back on I had to re-zero. Others have been more lucky. I have no idea how platform dependent this might be. All I can say is I ended up with one gun set up for Production and one gun set up for CO and left them that way.

I have what I believe you will find an illuminating reply. But it is long and I'm at work so I cannot type it now. It is based upon my experience owning and shooting (competitively and in practice)  hammer and striker fired Sigs, CZs, M&Ps and Glocks. I will post it tonight.  It may help to know that I am a certified Armorer for all of those manufacturers and I have designed and installed a few optimizing parts for Sigs. Whenever possible, I start stock with all of my pistols, measure them, then install upgrade parts made by or for me, Gray Guns, Apex and Lone Wolf, then measure them again to quantify the changes. I also insist on 100% reliability, therefore, any change that compromises any functionality is immediately removed/eliminated - I want a pistol in my hand, not a bludgeoining device ?.

Edited by DCSigCZ

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2018 at 11:28 AM, DCSigCZ said:

I have what I believe you will find an illuminating reply. But it is long and I'm at work so I cannot type it now. It is based upon my experience owning and shooting (competitively and in practice)  hammer and striker fired Sigs, CZs, M&Ps and Glocks. I will post it tonight.  It may help to know that I am a certified Armorer for all of those manufacturers and I have designed and installed a few optimizing parts for Sigs. Whenever possible, I start stock with all of my pistols, measure them, then install upgrade parts made by or for me, Gray Guns, Apex and Lone Wolf, then measure them again to quantify the changes. I also insist on 100% reliability, therefore, any change that compromises any functionality is immediately removed/eliminated - I want a pistol in my hand, not a bludgeoining device ?.

Did you ever type this up? I’m interested to hear what you have to say. 

After shooting production in the Missouri fall classic level 2 match a month from now, I'm putting the kadet conversion on my S2 and changing to an X5 in carry optics next year.

The X5 was my first USPSA pistol and I'm partial to it.  Especially after sculpting my own larger grip and silicon carbiding it. Looking forward to CO for 2019.

• 7 months later...

I had an x5 set up for carry optics with all the normal x5 upgrades. traded it to a junior shooter’s dad in our area for a Cajun upgraded s2 so him and his son could use the same guns and have a spare if need be, and I’m partial to metal cz’s. Proceeded to cut the s2 for a dot and have practiced with it a bit. The weight of the gun is nice and trigger is pretty baller but on the clock I’m not sold that it would make a big difference at a match. I originally shot limited and when the co rules on capacity opened up I tried it with the x5. Since then I have moved to shooting open but still really enjoy having a co rig available as a option to shoot or even just as a extra rig to offer to friends, family, or unsuspecting people wanting to try USPSA for the first time(set the hook real deep). To the last point I think the x5 makes a far better gun for new shooters and still plenty capable of competing at the highest level( Max M.) both are great options but I think I’ll be moving my co s2 to set up another x5 co rig. 

I don't have a lot of data, but I went from CZ to P320 and feel I shoot the P320 better overall. I never felt as fast out of the holster with the CZ, didn't like the DA/SA transition, and was able to shoot as fast with the P320. YMMV. 

I made the switch from CZ Shadows to P320s this winter.  I'm able to shoot the P320's better due to the larger grip.  The CZ's shoot flatter and have better triggers in my opinion, but that doesn't mean much if you cant hang on to the gun.  However, a lot of people with small hands can get a nice grip on CZ's and have no issue there.

Shooting Stock2 in Prod and X5 in CO both are excellent pistol. My stock 2 do have better trigger and shoot flatter but I really don't feel the difference in trigger and recoil when shooting a match. It in slow fire training section I can feel the difference.